USS S-24 (SS-129)
USS S-24 (SS-129) was a first-group (S-1 or "Holland") S-class submarine of the United States Navy. Her keel was laid down on 1 November 1918 by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation's Fore River Shipyard in Quincy, Massachusetts. She was launched on 27 June 1922 sponsored by Mrs. Herbert B. Loper, and commissioned on 24 August 1923 with Lieutenant Commander Louis E. Denfeld in command.
USS S-24 in the 1920s.
|Builder:||Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation|
|Laid down:||1 November 1918|
|Launched:||27 June 1922|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. Herbert B. Loper|
|Commissioned:||24 August 1923|
|Decommissioned:||10 August 1942|
|Struck:||25 August 1947|
|Acquired:||10 August 1942|
|Fate:||Returned to the US Navy, December 1944|
|Class and type:||S-class submarine|
|Length:||219 ft 3 in (66.83 m)|
|Beam:||20 ft 8 in (6.30 m)|
|Draft:||15 ft 11 in (4.85 m)|
|Complement:||42 officers and men|
Operating from New London, Connecticut, in 1923 and 1924, S-24 served at Saint Thomas, United States Virgin Islands, in February 1924. She visited Trinidad from 6–13 March, the Panama Canal area in April of that year and Hawaii from 27 April to May 1925. Next, into 1930, she served principally at San Diego, California, San Pedro, California, and Mare Island, California. In addition to service in the Panama Canal area in February and March 1926 and again in February 1929, S-24 visited Hawaii in 1927 and 1928 and twice in 1929. Sailing from San Diego on 1 December 1930, she arrived at Pearl Harbor on 12 December. From then into 1938, S-24 operated at Pearl Harbor. Departing from Pearl Harbor on 15 October, she returned to New London on 4 January 1939.
After serving with a partial crew at New London from 1 April of that year, S-24 resumed full duty on 1 July 1940. Following duty out of New London during that year and into 1941, S-24 served next in waters near the Panama Canal from late December into May 1942. Returning to New London on 21 May, S-24 decommissioned there on 10 August 1942, and was transferred on that date to the United Kingdom. In the Royal Navy she was commissioned as HMS P555 in October 1942 and was assigned to the 7th Submarine Flotilla based at Holy Loch. This was a non-operational unit and the boats were used for training new crews and officers and for training surface ships in anti-submarine warfare. Among the officers who commanded her was Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Lt Edward Preston Young making the boat the first Royal navy submarine to be commanded by a British RNVR officer.
Decommissioned by the Royal Navy in May 1944 she was returned to the United States Navy in December 1944, S-24 was struck from the Navy List and was intentionally sunk in the Pacific Ocean off Portland, Oregon, as a sonar target on 25 August 1947.