USS Chilula (AT-153)
USS Chilula (ATF-153) was a Navajo-class fleet tug constructed for the United States Navy during World War II. Her purpose was to aid ships, usually by towing, on the high seas or in combat or post-combat areas, plus "other duties as assigned."
USCGC Chilula (WMEC-153) underway 2 July 1960, location unknown. The Coast Guard used her primarily for search and rescue.
|Name:||USS Chilula (ATF-153)|
|Builder:||Charleston Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co.|
|Laid down:||13 June 1944|
|Launched:||1 December 1944|
|Commissioned:||5 April 1945|
|Decommissioned:||8 February 1947|
|Decommissioned:||19 June 1991|
|Reclassified:||Medium Endurance Cutter Chilula (WMEC-153) 1 May 1966|
|Fate:||Sunk as a target in 1997|
|Class and type:||Navajo-class fleet tug|
|Displacement:||1,240 long tons (1,260 t)|
|Length:||205 ft (62 m)|
|Beam:||38 ft 6 in (11.73 m)|
|Draft:||15 ft 4 in (4.67 m)|
|Speed:||16.5 knots (30.6 km/h; 19.0 mph)|
|International radio call sign of|
USS Chilula (ATF-153)
Chilula was laid down 13 June 1944, at Charleston Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. in Charleston and launched on 1 December 1944. She was commissioned 5 April 1945, with Lt. O. L. Guinn in command.
Decommission and Coastguard service
After the war, Chilula sailed for home. In Orange on 8 February 1947, she was decommissioned and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. She was transferred to the US Coast Guard on 9 July 1956 as USCGC Chilula (WAT-153). Her hull number was subsequently changed to WATF-153 later in 1956 and then WMEC-153 in 1966. The Coastguard decommissioned her on 19 June 1991 and returned her to the US Navy who expended her as a target in 1997.