UBM Technology Group
UBM Technology Group was a business-to-business multimedia company that provided information and integrated marketing services to technology professionals worldwide. It offered marketers and advertisers services such as print, newsletters, custom Web sites, and events. Its products and services include newspapers, magazines, Internet products, research, education and training, trade shows and conferences, direct marketing services and custom publishing.
|Founded||1971 (as CMP Publications Inc.)|
|Founder||Gerard Leeds and Lilo Leeds|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California|
In 1971, Gerard "Gerry" Leeds and his wife, Lilo, founded the company as CMP Publications Inc. in Manhasset, New York. Their sons Michael and Daniel managed the company in 1988, and launched TechWeb in 1994. CMP Media went public in 1997.
CMP Media was sold to United News & Media's Miller Freeman in 1999 and in 2000, the IT portion of Miller Freeman was merged into CMP. CMP Channel (including CRN) was spun off as UBM Channel and later went into management buyout as The Channel Company in 2013.
The music portions of CMP and Miller Freeman were spun off as Music Player Network, which managed by CMP Entertainment Media. The gaming portion (including Gamasutra and Game Developer Conference) was grouped into CMP GamaNetwork in early 2001.
Black Hat Briefings was acquired in 2005.
In November 2006, Forbes reported that United Business Media had purchased the events assets of MediaLive International Inc. This transaction included COMDEX and Interop which later integrated into CMP Technology.
In 2008, United Business Media broke CMP into four divisions inside UBM, notably merged the IT portion of CMP into UBM TechWeb and the electronics portion into UBM Electronics. "Today, the name is gone and what's left of the company is part of the British media conglomerate, UBM plc," according to Newsday.
In September 2010, Canon Communications announced that it had agreed to be acquired by United Business Media and the deal was completed in October 2010 at which point the company was renamed UBM Canon. Electronics part of Canon (including EDN) later merged into UBM Electronics.
In July 2012, UBM TechWeb changed its name to UBM Tech.
On June 3, 2016, UBM announced that EE Times, along with the rest of the electronics media portfolio (EDN, Embedded.com, TechOnline and Datasheets.com) was being sold to AspenCore Media, a company owned by Arrow Electronics for $23.5 million. The acquisition was completed on August 1, 2016.
In January 2018 Informa announced the acquisition of UBM for £4 billion. The transaction was completed in June 2018.
Publications for the builders of technology include Dr. Dobb's Journal. Publications for the buyers of technology include InformationWeek, Network Computing for the corporate IT user; and targeted publications for the financial industry (Wall Street & Technology, Insurance & Technology, and Bank Systems & Technology).
- Information Security
- Enterprise Communications
- Enterprise IT
- IT Services/Support and Contact Center
- Game and VR Development
- Content Marketing
UBM Technology Group (as CMP) co-produces the Web 2.0 Summit along with O'Reilly Media, and formerly the owner of the USPTO Service Mark 'WEB 2.0'.
Current UBM Technology Group assets:
- Black Hat
- Content Marketing Institute
- Content Marketing World
- ContentTECH Summit
- Dark Reading
- Enterprise Connect
- Network Computing
- No Jitter
- Service Management World
- "Office Locations". UBM Technology Group. 2018-07-02. Retrieved 2018-12-24.
- "History of CMP Media Inc. – FundingUniverse". www.fundinguniverse.com. Retrieved 2018-12-25.
- "CMP Media founder Gerard Leeds dies at 92 - Newsday". Newsday. Retrieved 2014-12-03.
- "McGraw-Hill to Sell Information Group to CMP Media". The New York Times. Reuters. May 6, 1998. p. D.3.
The McGraw-Hill Companies agreed yesterday to sell its Information Technology and Communications Group, which includes Byte and other computer magazines, to CMP Media Inc. for $28.6 million.
- Callahan, Sean (1 June 1999) "Miller Freeman Prepares For CMP Takeover" Business Marketing p.4;
- "UBM Channel Undergoes Management Buyout". Folio:. 2013-09-17. Retrieved 2018-12-24.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- Game Developer April 2001. CMP Media. 2001. p. 2. ISSN 1073-922X.
- "UBM news releases". Media. Retrieved 2016-11-03.
- "CMP Media Buys Black Hat". Retrieved 2016-11-03.
- "United Business Media consolidates health care; CMP Media changes name to CMP Technology". May 23, 2006. Archived from the original on 2018-09-22. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- UBM Has Sold CMP Entertainment Media to The Wicks Group Archived 17 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine, The Jordan, Edmiston Group, 13 September 2006 (retrieved 19 September 2010)
- "Elsevier Extends Content Offering to Entertainment Technology Professionals". Retrieved 2018-04-21.
- "Hal Leonard buys Backbeat Books for $2.2M". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2018-12-23.
- Canon Communications to be Sold to United Business Media; Transaction Expands Global Reach of Canon's Advanced Manufacturing and Design Focus
- UBM completes its acquisition of Canon Communications LLC
- EDN Issue 21/2010. UBM Electronics (published 2010-11-04). 2010. ISSN 0012-7515.
- Novinson, Michael (June 3, 2016). "Arrow To Buy UBM's Technical, Electronics Media Portfolio For $23.5M". CRN. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "Informa to buy exhibitions rival UBM for £4bn". 16 January 2018. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "Informa's takeover of peer UBM effective after court sanction". Alliance News. 15 June 2018. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- "About UBM Technology Group". UBM Technology Group. 2018-07-05. Retrieved 2018-12-24.