U.S. Route 52 in Illinois
U.S. Route 52 (US 52) in the state of Illinois, is a surface road that traverses the north central and eastern portions of the state. It runs from the Dale Gardner Veterans Memorial Bridge over the Mississippi River between Sabula, Iowa, and Savanna with Illinois Route 64 (IL 64) southeast to the Indiana state line near Sheldon with US 24. This is a distance of 215.78 miles (347.26 km).
U.S. Route 52
US 52 highlighted in red
|Maintained by IDOT|
|Length||215.78 mi (347.26 km)|
|Counties||Carroll, Ogle, Lee, LaSalle, Kendall, Will, Kankakee, Iroquois|
US 52 then turns due south and then east, crossing Interstate 39 (I-29) and US 51 near Troy Grove. It continues east, traveling through Shorewood and then through the southern portion of Joliet, where it is a major thoroughfare in the city of Joliet (Jefferson Street), avoiding the city of Chicago proper. It joins with US 45 through Kankakee, and then travels concurrently with US 24, east of Watseka to the Indiana state line.
In 1936, much of IL 27, IL 44, and IL 69 were replaced by current US 52 as well as portions of IL 2 south of Dixon, IL 49 south of Kankakee, and IL 116 east of L'Erable. Between 1936 and 1940, US 52 originally bypassed Joliet via parts of present-day IL 47 and IL 113. In 1940, US 52 was rerouted through Joliet to Kankakee. Subsequently, IL 44 and IL 69 were entirely decommissioned.
|Mississippi River||0.00||0.00||Continuation into Iowa|
|Dale Gardner Veterans Memorial Bridge|
|Carroll||Savanna||0.13||0.21||Western ends of IL 84 and Great River Road overlaps|
|2.19||3.52||Eastern ends of IL 84 and Great River Road overlaps|
|Rock Creek–Lima Township||28.62||46.06||Eastern end of IL 64 overlap|
|Ogle||Buffalo Township||35.0||56.3||Western end of IL 26 overlap|
|Lee||Dixon||49.3||79.3||Western end of IL 2 overlap|
|49.8||80.1||Eastern end of IL 2 overlap|
|50.1||80.6||Eastern end of IL 26 overlap|
|LaSalle||Mendota||78.0||125.5||Northern end of IL 251 overlap|
|Troy Grove Township||84.4||135.8||Southern end of IL 251 overlap|
|Freedom Township||99.4||160.0||Western end of IL 23 overlap|
|101.6||163.5||Eastern end of IL 23 overlap|
|Will||Shorewood||134.7||216.8||Alternate route of Historic US 66|
|140.7||226.4||Western end of US 6 overlap|
|141.2||227.2||Eastern end of US 6 overlap; northern end of IL 53 overlap|
|142.0||228.5||Southern end of IL 53 overlap|
|Peotone Township||159.4||256.5||Northern end of US 45 overlap|
|Kankakee||175.5||282.4||Western end of IL 17 overlap|
|175.9||283.1||Eastern end of IL 17 overlap|
|Iroquois||Ashkum Township||192.2||309.3||Southern end of US 45 overlap|
|Sheldon||213.8||344.1||Western end of US 24 overlap|
|Sheldon Township||215.78||347.26||Continuation into Indiana|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Illinois Technology Transfer Center (2007). "T2 GIS Data". Retrieved November 8, 2007.
- Illinois Secretary of State; H.M. Gousha (1935). Official Road Map Illinois (Map). [c. 1:950,000 and c. 1:1,110,000]. Springfield: Illinois Secretary of State – via Illinois Digital Archives.
- Illinois Secretary of State; Rand McNally (1936). Road Map Illinois (Map). [c. 1:950,000 and c. 1:1,110,000]. Springfield: Illinois Secretary of State – via Illinois Digital Archives.
- Illinois Secretary of State; Rand McNally (1939). Illinois Road Map (Map) (1939–1940 ed.). c. 1:918,720. Springfield: Illinois Secretary of State – via Illinois Digital Archives.
- Illinois Secretary of State; Rand McNally (1940). Illinois Road Map (Map). c. 1:918,720. Springfield: Illinois Secretary of State – via Illinois Digital Archives.
- Google (March 20, 2017). "Overview Map of US 52" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved March 20, 2017.