U.S. Route 36 in Missouri
U.S. Route 36 (US 36) in the state of Missouri is an expressway with many freeway sections, connecting Kansas to Illinois. From Cameron to the Illinois state line, it forms part of the principal route between Kansas City and Chicago, known as the Chicago–Kansas City Expressway.
U.S. Route 36
|V.F.W. Memorial Highway|
|Maintained by MoDOT|
|Length||192.660 mi (310.056 km)|
|Counties||Buchanan, DeKalb, Caldwell, Livingston, Linn, Macon, Shelby, Ralls, Marion|
U.S. Route 36 in Missouri runs from the Pony Express Bridge over the Missouri River in St. Joseph to the Mark Twain Memorial Bridge over the Mississippi River in Hannibal. After leaving the Missouri River valley, U.S. 36 then links major cities in Northern Missouri with Kansas City and cities in the east. From Cameron to the Illinois state line, it is overlapped with Missouri Route 110, also known as the Chicago–Kansas City Expressway. Starting in St. Joseph, it passes through the cities of Cameron, Hamilton, Chillicothe, Macon, Shelbina, Monroe City, and Brookfield. The final 2 miles (3.2 km) of US 36 in Missouri is concurrent with Interstate 72. The route passes through mostly flat, fertile, productive farmland. Even though there are some surface intersections, U.S. 36 has many grade-separated interchanges and town bypasses that suggest a future extension of I-72 west from Hannibal.
US 36 across Missouri parallels the route of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad, which was the reason St. Joseph was selected for the Pony Express. The two towns were the second and third largest cities in the State of Missouri prior to the American Civil War. Prior to the establishment of the railroad in the late 1850s, the stagecoach route was called the "Hound Dog Trail."
The road was originally Route 8 from 1922 to 1926, before being designated as US 36. Over the years some busier sections were upgraded to four lanes. On August 3, 2005, residents of Macon, Marion, Monroe, Shelby, and Ralls counties approved Proposition 36B, which excluded Ralls County from the Transportation Development District, and allowed for a 4-lane US 36 to be constructed without Ralls County's participation. In June 2010 work was completed making US 36 a four-lane highway across the entire state, saving considerable travel time.
Presently I-72 ends at US 61 (Avenue of the Saints) in Hannibal, but further lengthening is proposed by Marion County. The five-item transportation list finalized by the County Commission on February 16, 2016, added the upgrade of US 36, from the Mark Twain Memorial Bridge across the Mississippi River, to the split of US 24 and US 36 near Rocket Plaza, as a new priority. Citing potential benefits including economic development and marketing of Hannibal Lakeside Industrial Park, the Commission advocate extending Interstate 72 west approximately seven miles (11 km).
All exits are unnumbered.
(Except one exit on the I-72 overlap)
|Missouri River||0.000||0.000||Continuation into Kansas|
|Pony Express Bridges; Kansas–Missouri state line|
|Interchange; 4th St. not signed eastbound; westbound signed as Route 759/4th St. only|
|Interchange; no access to northbound I-229 from eastbound US 36 and no access to westbound US 36 from southbound I-229; exit 4B on I-229; western end of freeway section at traffic light for I-229 NB entrance ramp|
|Westbound entrance includes direct entrance ramp from 8th Street|
|Exits 46A-B on I-29|
|||SE 85th Road||At-grade intersection; eastern end of freeway section|
|Marion Township||11.743||18.899||Western end of Route 31 overlap|
|DeKalb||Washington Township||15.925||25.629||Eastern end of Route 31 overlap|
|Colfax Township||24.787||39.891||Western end of Route 33 overlap|
|27.186||43.752||Eastern end of Route 33 overlap|
|Western end of Loop 35 overlap|
|Eastern end of Loop 35 overlap; western end of Route 110 overlap|
|Linn||Parson Creek Township||85.054||136.881||Western end of Route 139 overlap|
|Laclede||91.830||147.786||Eastern end of Route 139 overlap; western end of Route 5 overlap|
|Interchange; eastern end of Route 5 overlap|
|Bucklin Township||107.000||172.200||Western end of Route 129 overlap|
|Macon||Lingo Township||112.553||181.136||Eastern end of Route 129 overlap|
|Long Branch Lake Road||Interchange|
|Interchange, western end of US 24 overlap; future western end of I-72|
|Eastern end of US 24 overlap, west end of freeway section|
|Western end of I-72 overlap|
|Exit 157 along I-72|
|Mississippi River||192.660||310.056||Mark Twain Memorial Bridge; Missouri–Illinois state line|
|Continuation into Illinois|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
|Number||Length (mi)||Length (km)||Southern or western terminus||Northern or eastern terminus||Formed||Removed||Notes|
|1.6||2.6||US 36 near the Missouri River in St. Joseph||US 36 / US 59 Bus. / US 71 Bus. in St. Joseph||1959||1963||Served St. Joseph|
|1.504||2.420||US 36 in western Cameron||US 36 / US 69 / Loop 35 in Cameron||1964||current||Serves Cameron|
|2.807||4.517||US 36 in Hamilton Township||US 36 / Route 13 in Hamilton||1962||current||Serves Hamilton|
|1.042||1.677||US 36 / US 65 in Chillicothe||US 36 in Chillicothe||—||—||Serves Chillicothe|
|2.769||4.456||US 36 west of Brookfield||US 36 / Route 11 in Brookfield||1955||current||Serves Brookfield|
|2.827||4.550||US 63 in Macon||US 36 east of Macon||1973||current||Serves Macon|
|1.0||1.6||US 36 west of Macon||Bourke Street in Macon||1956||1973||Former spur into Macon|
|1.498||2.411||N. 1st Street in Clarence||US 36 east of Clarence||—||—||Serves Clarence|
|1.772||2.852||US 36 west of Shelbina||US 36 in eastern Shelbina||1968||current||Serves Shelbina|
|2.461||3.961||US 36 in western Monroe City||US 24 / US 36 / Route Z in northeastern Monroe City||1976||current||Serves Monroe City|
|3.6||5.8||US 36 / US 61 in Hannibal||I-72 / US 36 / Route 79 in Hannibal||1960||2013||Served Hannibal|
- Missouri Department of Transportation (August 13, 2014). MoDOT HPMAPS (Map). Missouri Department of Transportation. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- "A Look at Missouri's Named Highways and Bridges". Associated Press. August 24, 2002 – via LexisNexis.
- The Hound Dog Trail: The Economy of Cameron - cameron-mo.com - Retrieved November 15, 2007
- Henley, Danny. "Hannibal Expressway Tabbed as Ralls County Priority". Hannibal Courier. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- Google (August 14, 2014). "US 36 St. Joseph business route" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved August 14, 2014.
- U.S. Route Numbering Subcommittee (November 10, 1973). "U.S. Route Numbering Subcommittee Agenda Showing Action Taken by the Executive Committee" (PDF) (Report). Washington, DC: American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. Retrieved August 13, 2014 – via Wikimedia Commons.
- Google (August 14, 2014). "US 63 Macon spur" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved August 14, 2014.
- U.S. Route Numbering Subcommittee (June 18, 1968). "U.S. Route Numbering Subcommittee Agenda Showing Action Taken by the Executive Committee" (Report). Washington, DC: American Association of State Highway Officials. Retrieved August 13, 2014 – via Wikisource.
- Special Committee on U.S. Route Numbering (July 13, 1976). "Route Numbering Committee Agenda Showing Action Taken by the Executive Committee" (PDF) (Report). Washington, DC: American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. Retrieved August 13, 2014 – via Wikimedia Commons.
- Google (August 13, 2014). "US 36 Hannibal business route" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved August 13, 2014.