Tyrant of the Sea
Tyrant of the Sea is a 1950 American historical war film directed by Lew Landers and starring Ron Randell, Rhys Williams and Lester Matthews. It is set during the Napoleonic Wars, with Admiral Horatio Nelson appearing as a character.
|Tyrant of the Sea|
|Directed by||Lew Landers|
|Produced by||Sam Katzman|
|Written by||Robert Libott |
|Music by||Mischa Bakaleinikoff|
|Cinematography||Ira H. Morgan|
|Edited by||Edwin Bryant|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
|February 22, 1950|
The film began as a project The Return of Captain Bligh and was to star Charles Laughton, who had famously played Captain Bligh in Mutiny on the Bounty (1935). However Laughton did not want to repeat his performance so the project was rewritten to focus on a fictitious character. Rhys Williams played the part based on Bligh.
The actual lead was Ron Randell. Randell made the film while also appearing on stage in a double bill of Terence Rattigan plays, Harlequinade and The Browning Version. Filming started 16 August. The film's sets were designed by the art director Paul Palmentola.
- Rhys Williams as Captain Blake
- Ron Randell as Lt. Hawkins
- Lester Matthews as Lord Nelson
- Valentine Perkins as Betsy Blake
- Doris Lloyd as Elizabeth Blake
- Ross Elliott as Palmer
- Harry Cording as Sampson Edwards
- Terry Kilburn as Dick Savage - Sailor
- Maurice Marsac as Phillipe Daumer
- William Fawcett as Shawn O'Donnell
- Don C. Harvey as Moriarty
- James Fairfax as Oliver Sibley
- Stanley Andrews as Officer
- Frank Ferguson as Officer
- Percy Helton as Crewman
- CLARK GABLE SET FOR DE VOTO FILM: Star to Play Lead in 'Across the Wide Missouri,' Based on Novel About Fur Traders By THOMAS F. BRADY Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 06 Aug 1949: 11.
- RKO AND WARNERS BUY NEW STORIES: Former Acquires 'Macao,' by Robert Williams -- 'Fires of Orinoco' Goes to Latter By THOMAS F. BRADY Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 13 Aug 1949: 6.
- Paul Douglas Heralded for 'Man Who Sunk Navy'; Randell to Join Evans Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 10 Aug 1949: 19.
- 'All Passion Spent' Now Talked for Jane Wyman; Paramount Signs Beauty Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File); Los Angeles, Calif. [Los Angeles, Calif]06 Aug 1949: 7.