Type 80 machine gun
The Type 80 (Chinese: 80式通用机枪) is a general-purpose machine gun manufactured by Norinco in China, based on the Soviet PKM. The machine gun was certified for design finalisation in 1980 and entered the PLA service in the mid-1980s, specifically in 1983. The Type 80 was intended as a successor to the Chinese independently developed Type 67, doing well in tests conducted in the Chengdu Military Region before it was dropped and instead, opted to keep the Type 67 GPMG in use.
|Type 80 general-purpose machine gun|
Syrian soldier with Type 80.
|Type||General-purpose machine gun|
|Place of origin||China|
|Used by||See Users|
|Wars||Lebanese Civil War|
Second Sudanese Civil War
War in Darfur
Sri Lankan Civil War
South Sudanese ethnic violence
Syrian Civil War
Boko Haram insurgency
|Mass||12.6 kg (27.78 lb)|
|Length||1,192 mm (46.9 in)|
|Barrel length||658 mm (25.9 in)|
|Action||Gas-operated, open bolt|
|Rate of fire||700–800 round/min|
|Muzzle velocity||840 m/s (2,776 ft/s)|
|Effective firing range||1,640 yd (100—1,500 m sight adjustments)|
|Feed system||Belts in 100/200/250 round boxes|
|Sights||Open sights. Optical/Night vision scope can be outfitted.|
Only a few Type 80s were used in the People's Liberation Army Marine Corps and airborne units, and a modified Type 80, named as Type 86, was then accepted by PLA armor units.
The development of the GPMG started when Chinese firearms engineers studied PKMs that were captured from Vietnamese forces during the Sino-Vietnamese War.
The Type 80 chambers and fires the 7.62×54mmR round. It is a gas-operated, air-cooled, belt-fed, fully automatic firearm. It can fire on both the tripod and the foldable bipod on the gas tube below the barrel. Belts are used from 100-round boxes in the light machine gun configurations, and from 200- or 250-round boxes in tripod-mounted applications. The machine gun uses an open iron sight, but can also be fitted with an optical or night-vision sight.
- Type 80 - The copy of the PKM GPMG, chambered in 7.62×54mmR.
- Type 86 - A machine gun only used for tanks as a secondary weapon.
- CF06 - An export-only version of the Type 80, which is chambered for 7.62 NATO ammunition. A study on creating the CF06 started with an evaluation from July to December 2006 with a prototype review on February 2007. Production started from April to May 2007 before the CF06 was officially formalized in January 2008. It's equipped with polymer furniture instead of the wooden furniture used in the original Type 80. The barrel life consist of 25,000 rounds, with 12,500 rounds for each one of two barrels supplied.
It's also known as the CS/LM4 GPMG (Chinese: CS/LM 4型通用机枪) in 2008.
- BD-14 - A variant of the Type 80 made by Bangladesh Ordnance Factories under license.
Bangladesh: BD-14 variant made in Bangladesh in service with Bangladesh Army and President Guard Regiment. China: Currently in service in small numbers with Chinese special forces. Croatia: In service with Croatian police units during the country's war of independence. Malta: Armed Forces of Malta Niger South Sudan
- "Sudan - Global trade, local impact: Arms Transfers to all Sides in the Civil War in Sudan" (PDF). Human Rights Watch Report. 10 (4): 25. August 1998.
- This is due to the Type 80's basis from the PK general-purpose machine gun.
- 中国80式7.62毫米通用机枪至今仍大量出口(图) (in Chinese). Sina. Archived from the original on 2012-03-02. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- "深度：俄抱怨中国山寨太强 这么好的机枪都抄袭到手". mil.sina.cn (in Chinese). 10 May 2016.
- "Type 80 7.62mm General Purpose Machine Gun". 2007-08-13. Archived from the original on 2007-10-16. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- 80式通用机枪 (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 2013-04-29. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- "中国研制成功新型CF06式7.62毫米通用机枪(图)" (in Chinese). Sina. 2007-10-16. Archived from the original on 2012-03-02. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- "图文：国产CF06式7.62毫米通用机枪结构示意图" (in Chinese). Sina. 2007-10-16. Archived from the original on 2012-03-02. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- "中国CF06式7.62毫米通用机枪". 18 June 2017.
- "中国CF06式7.62毫米通用机枪" (in Chinese). 25 July 2017.
- "BD-14 General Purpose Machine Gun – Bangladesh Military Forces – BDMilitary.com".
- "President Guard Regiment". Archived from the original on 2013-04-29. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- "Vojničke puške - mup.hr". 16 March 2014.
- Agius, Matthew (14 July 2018). "Personnel reveal shortcomings inside Maltese armed forces". Malta Today.
- de Tessières 2018 (Small Arms Survey), p. 58.
- Small Arms Survey 2014, p. 233.
- Small Arms Survey 2014, p. 226.
- Small Arms Survey (2014). "Weapons tracing in Sudan and South Sudan" (PDF). Small Arms Survey 2014: Women and guns (PDF). Cambridge University Press. p. 241.
- "Chinese arms, radar for Sri Lanka military". 2007-06-05. Archived from the original on 2012-06-14. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- Savannah de Tessières (January 2018). At the Crossroads of Sahelian Conflicts: Insecurity, Terrorism, and Arms Trafficking in Niger (PDF) (Report). Small Arms Survey. p. 55. ISBN 978-2-940548-48-4.
- Conflict Armament Research (September 2014). Islamic State Weapons in Iraq and Syria: Analysis of weapons and ammunition captured from Islamic State forces in Iraq and Syria (PDF). pp. 6, 9.
- "Reaching for the gun: Arms flows and holdings in South Sudan" (PDF). Sudan Issue Brief. Small Arms Survey (19 April 2011): 6–9.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Type 80 machine gun.|