Tynecastle High School
|Tynecastle High School|
2 McLeod Street
|Head teacher||Hazel Kinnear|
|Colour(s)||Silver and blue|
Tynecastle High School was opened in 1912 and was for its first 98 years located at 15 McLeod Street, a B listed building.
Move to new school building
On 1 April 2007, The City of Edinburgh Council gave the go ahead to rebuild Tynecastle High School in a different area of McLeod Street. The council approved the sale of the old school building and a nearby nursery to the neighbouring Heart of Midlothian football team. The deal was for the sum of £5.9 million.
The Liberal Democrats / Scottish National Party coalition that took over The City of Edinburgh Council in May 2007 signalled their plan to fight any move to demolish the old school building. Council Leader Jenny Dawe said "I can't see any way that they would get permission to knock it down. It's important for the city that we don't have a repeat of the 1960s when a lot of fine buildings were knocked down and replaced by horrible multi-storey blocks." This school is also a B-listed building and any permission for it to be altered can only be done with the permission of both the council and Historic Scotland.
Previous Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov intended to build a luxury hotel, sports bars and shops alongside a new main stand for Tynecastle Stadium with a 12,000 capacity. In August 2007 it was reported that the old school would "remain untouched" in the redevelopment.
Notable former pupils
- Keith Brown, politician
- Jason Cummings, professional footballer
- Paul Hanlon, professional footballer
- Tom Hunter, recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Brian Kennedy, businessman
- Ian Richardson an actor who played Francis Urquhart in the BBC adaption of House of Cards. His time at the school was not a happy one though. "It would be very different now but then I don't think they had a clue what to do with me, they certainly didn't understand me. I cannot remember having any friends there either. I hated it."
Notable former teachers
- "Tynecastle High move given the go-ahead". Edinburgh: The Scotsman. 4 February 2007.
- Grahame, Ewing (20 August 2007). "Celtic's Gordon Strachan May Face Lengthy Ban". London: The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- "Hearts reveal stadium plans but club debt is set to soar". London: The Daily Mail. 21 August 2007.
- "Romanov's £50m dream". Edinburgh: The Scotsman. 20 August 2007.
- Ferguson, Brian (18 July 2004). "Stand off over Hearts stadium plans". Edinburgh: The Scotsman.
- "'Hurdles in way of a makeover for Tynecastle'". Edinburgh: The Scotsman. 18 July 2004.
- "Council to voice fears over Tynecastle renovation". The Scotsman. 18 July 2004.
- "Hearts unveil stadium plans which may take debt to £80m". The Scotsman. 20 August 2007.
- "About Our School - Tynecastle High School". Retrieved 7 March 2018.
- "Acting Star Ian Richardson Dies". The Scotsman. 2 September 2007. Archived from the original on 12 February 2007.
- "Ironmike & Favedave & and other WWI book collectors". The History Channel. 5 November 2007.
- "The War Poets - Wilfred Owen 2". The War Poets At Craiglockhart. 5 November 2007.