Tsugaru Line

The Tsugaru Line (津軽線, Tsugaru-sen) is a railway line operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East). It connects Aomori Station and Minmaya Station on the Tsugaru Peninsula in western Aomori Prefecture.

Tsugaru Line
Tsugaru Line along Mutsu Bay
Overview
TypeHeavy rail Passenger
TerminiAomori
Minmaya
Stations18
Operation
Opened1951
OwnerJR East
Rolling stockKiHa 100 series
Technical
Line length58.4 km (36.3 mi)
Track gauge1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
Electrification20 kV AC, 50 Hz (Aomori to Shin Naka-Oguni Signal)
Route map
Route diagram
0.0 Aomori
0.9 Takeuchi Signal
Seikan Ferry
4.4 Shin-Aburakawa Signal
6.0 Aburakawa
9.7 Tsugaru-Miyata
11.5 Okunai
13.1 Hidariseki
14.7 Ushirogata
16.8 Nakasawa
19.1 Yomogita
21.1 Gōsawa
23.4 Seheji
27.0 Kanita
31.4 Naka-Oguni
33.7 Shin Naka-Oguni Signal
↓non-electrified
35.0 Ōdai
46.6 Tsugaru-Futamata
Tsugaru-Imabetsu
48.6 Ōkawadai
51.0 Imabetsu
52.7 Tsugaru-Hamana
55.8 Minmaya

The section of the line between Aomori Station and Naka-Oguni Station is a part of the Tsugaru-Kaikyō Line connecting Honshu and Hokkaido.

Station list

Station Japanese Distance (km) Limited express Transfers Location
Between
stations
Total
Aomori 青森 - 0.0 Ōu Main Line
Aoimori Railway Line
Aomori Aomori
Prefecture
Aburakawa 油川 6.0 6.0  
Tsugaru-Miyata 津軽宮田 3.7 9.7  
Okunai 奥内 1.8 11.5  
Hidariseki 左堰 1.6 13.1  
Ushirogata 後潟 1.6 14.7  
Nakasawa 中沢 2.1 16.8  
Yomogita 蓬田 2.3 19.1   Yomogita
Gōsawa 郷沢 2.0 21.1  
Seheji 瀬辺地 2.3 23.4  
Kanita 蟹田 3.6 27.0   Sotogahama
Naka-Oguni 中小国 3.4 31.4 (Kaikyō Line)
Ōdai 大平 3.6 35.0  
Tsugaru-Futamata 津軽二股 11.6 46.6 Kaikyō Line/Hokkaido Shinkansen (Okutsugaru-Imabetsu Station) Imabetsu
Ōkawadai 大川平 2.0 48.6  
Imabetsu 今別 2.4 51.0  
Tsugaru-Hamana 津軽浜名 1.7 52.7  
Minmaya 三厩 3.1 55.8  
Legend
◇ - Trains can pass each other at this station
| - Trains cannot pass

The portion from Aomori and Naka-Oguni is electrified.

History

Plans existed to link the prefectural capital of Aomori with the northern tip of the Tsugaru Peninsula from the time of the Meiji period Railway Construction Act. In 1930, the privately held Tsugaru Railway began operations on the western side of Tsugaru Peninsula, and surveying work was completed by the Japanese Government Railways (JGR) to build a government-operated line on the eastern side of Tsugaru Peninsula. These plans were postponed by the outbreak of World War II, and were only resumed in the 1950s under the Japanese National Railways (JNR).

On December 5, 1951, the first segment of the Tsugaru Line was completed from Aomori to Kanita. This was extended by October 21, 1958 to the present northern terminus at Minmaya. Additional intermediate stations were added in 1959 and 1960.

All scheduled freight operations were suspended on December 10, 1984. With the privatization of the JNR on April 1, 1987, the line came under the operational control of JR East. From March 13, 1988, the tracks between Aomori Station and the Shin Naka-Oguni Signal are jointly used by JR East, JR Hokkaido's Tsugaru-Kaikyō Line and Japan Freight Railway Company (JR Freight).

In 1988 the Aomori - Shin Naka-Oguni section was electrified in conjunction with the opening of the Seikan Tunnel and associated Tsugaru-Kaikyō Line.

See also

References

This article incorporates material from the corresponding article in the Japanese Wikipedia.

  • Harris, Ken and Clarke, Jackie. Jane's World Railways 2008-2009. Jane's Information Group (2008). ISBN 0-7106-2861-7

Media related to Tsugaru Line at Wikimedia Commons

This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.