Tsarskoye Selo (Russian: Ца́рское Село́, IPA: [ˈtsarskəɪ sʲɪˈlo] (
The Royal Forestry School, perhaps the first such school in Russia, was founded in Tsarskoye Selo in 1803; it was moved to Saint Petersburg in 1811, to become the Imperial Forestry Institute.
Nickname for elite Soviet neighborhoods
Under the Soviet Union the nickname "the Czar's village" came to be attached to blocks and small neighborhoods that housed the nomenklatura (Soviet elites). Their stores were better stocked, although they were still affected by Soviet-era shortages. The buildings in the neighborhoods were better designed, constructed and maintained. One such neighborhood, west of Moscow, contained less industry and more parks than any other neighborhood.
- Jabado, Salwa; Fodor's (2008). Fodor's Moscow and St. Petersburg. New York: Random House. p. 292. ISBN 1-4000-0717-8.
- St. Petersburg Encyclopedia. Accessed: May 6, 2012.
- Masha Gessen, (2017). [The Future Is History: How Totalitarianism Reclaimed Russia]
- King, Greg (2006). The Court of the Last Tsar (hardback). Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0-471-72763-7.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tsarskoe Selo.|
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Tsarskoye Selo.|
- Tsarskoye Selo, Pushkin town, historical facts of the city, map, local weather, directions from St. Petersburg
- The State Museum of Tsarskoye Selo
- Alexander Palace Time Machine The Alexander Palace Time Machine
- Tsarskoye Selo in 1910 – a guide to the Palaces, Park and Town
- Photo Tours of Tsarskoe Selo
- Last Days at Tsarskoe Selo Last Days at Tsarskoe Selo by Count Paul Beckendorff
- Photographic views of Tsarskoye Selo, c. 2002 The Nostalgic Glass
- Tsarskoye Selo Photos Iconicarchive Gallery
- Bernard DeCou's colored photos of Tsarskoye Selo, c. 1931