Trash (2014 film)
Trash is a 2014 crime drama thriller film directed by Stephen Daldry and written by Richard Curtis, based on Andy Mulligan's 2010 novel of same name. The film stars Rooney Mara, Martin Sheen, Wagner Moura, and Selton Mello.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Stephen Daldry|
|Produced by||Tim Bevan|
|Screenplay by||Richard Curtis|
by Andy Mulligan
|Music by||Antônio Pinto|
|Edited by||Elliot Graham|
Working Title Films
|Distributed by||Focus World |
Universal Pictures (Brazil and United Kingdom)
|Box office||$5.36 million|
Trash follows three Brazilian street teenagers in Rio de Janeiro; Raphael, Gardo, and Rat (Jun-Jun) who spend their time picking through litter in the hope of finding useful waste. One day they discover a wallet whose contents bring them into conflict with the brutal local police force as they find themselves unlikely whistleblowers in a city rife with corruption.
- Rooney Mara as Sister Olivia
- Martin Sheen as Father Juilliard
- Wagner Moura as José Angelo
- Selton Mello as Federico Gonz
- Stepan Nercessian as Santos
- Rickson Tevez as Raphael
- Eduardo Luis as Gardo
- Gabriel Weinstein as Rat (Jun-Jun)
- Pedro Pauleey as The Cleaner
- Nelson Xavier as Jefferson
- Leandro Firmino
On 5 April 2011, Working Title Films and PeaPie Films acquired the film rights to Andy Mulligan's 2010 adventure thriller novel Trash. Screenwriter Richard Curtis was set to adapt the novel and Stephen Daldry was set to direct the film.
The first trailer was released on 31 July 2014.
The film was distributed outside of North America by Universal Pictures International. The film had its world premiere at the Rio de Janeiro International Film Festival on 7 October 2014. It was released in Brazil on 9 October 2014. and in the United Kingdom on 30 January 2015. The film was released in the United States on 9 October 2015, by Focus World in a limited release and through video on demand.
Trash received mixed to positive reviews. On Rotten Tomatoes, it has a score of 66%, an average rating of 5.95/10, based on 44 reviews. The film's consensus states: "Action-packed, funny, and thought-provoking, Trash finds feel-good cinema in real-life squalor without resorting to cheap sentimentality." On Metacritic, the film holds a score of 50 out of 100, based on 18 reviews, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- 2015: BAFTA Award for Best Film Not in the English Language (nominated)
- 2014: Rome Film Festival – BNL People's Choice Award: Gala (won)
- 2014: Rome Film Festival – 'Alice in the City' Award (won)
- 2014: Camerimage – Golden Frog: Main Competition (nominated)
- 2014: Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival – Just Film Award: Best Youth Film (nominated)
- "TRASH (15)". British Board of Film Classification. 26 November 2014. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- Ray Subers (14 December 2014). "Around-the-World Roundup: 'Hobbit' Finale Opens to $122 Million Overseas". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- "Richard Curtis to Adapt 'Trash', Stephen Daldry to Direct". filmofilia.com. 6 April 2011. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- "Working Title, Thykier nab 'Trash'". variety.com. 5 April 2011. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- "Stephen Daldry and Richard Curtis pick up Trash". The Guardian. 6 April 2011. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "Rooney Mara & Martin Sheen Join Stephen Daldry-Helmed 'Trash'". deadline.com. 8 July 2013. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- "Trash begins shooting in Brazil". workingtitlefilms.com. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- "Rooney Mara Explores Rio Before 'Trash' Filming Begins". worldnewsviews.com. 25 July 2013. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- Sciretta, Peter (31 July 2014). "Stephen Daldry's Trash Trailer". slashfilm.com. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- Hopewell, John (9 October 2014). "Universal Pictures Intl. Ups Ante in Brazil". Variety.com. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- Hopewell, John (6 September 2014). "Stephen Daldry's 'Trash' To Close Rio Festival". Variety.com. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- Woods, Adam (19 January 2015). "Video: Trash film trailer and synopsis". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
- Gossip Girl, Not a (31 August 2015). "Stephen Daldry's Award-winning film TRASH in theaters & VOD 10/9/2015 #OfficialTrailer". RedCarpetReporttv.com. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- "Trash (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- "Trash". Metacritic. Retrieved 21 November 2015.