Transom (nautical)

A transom is the flat part which forms the stern of a square ended boat.[1] This flat termination of the stern is typically above the waterline.[2]

The term is known to have been used as far back as Middle English in the 1300s, having come from Latin transversus (transverse) via Old French traversain (set crosswise).[1]

The stern of a boat is typically vertical. It can be raked such that there is an overhang above the water, as at the bow. A reverse transom is angled from the waterline forwards.[3]

Transoms can be used to support a rudder, outboard motor, or as a swimming and access platform.


  1. "transom". Merriam-Webster. Retrieved 2 November 2019.
  2. "transom". Retrieved 2 November 2019.
  3. Jordan, Richard (19 September 2009). "Stern Styles and Transom Types – Sugar Scoop, Reverse, Wineglass, Heartshaped, Canoe, Double Ended, Ducktail". Jordan Yacht Brokerage. Retrieved 2 November 2019.
This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.