Trader Tom of the China Seas
Trader Tom of the China Seas is a 1954 Republic film serial directed by Franklin Adreon and starring Harry Lauter, Aline Towne, Lyle Talbot, Robert Shayne, Fred Graham, and Richard Reeves. In 1966 the serial was edited into a 100-minute television film with the new title Target: Sea of China.
|Trader Tom of the China Seas|
|Directed by||Franklin Adreon|
|Produced by||Franklin Adreon|
|Written by||Ronald Davidson|
|Distributed by||Republic Pictures|
|12 chapters (167 minutes (serial)|
100 minutes (TV)
|Budget||$172,789 (negative cost: $169,248)|
The United Nations has island trader Tom Rogers and Vivian Wells, daughter of a schooner captain, spearheading the effort to keep subversive native groups from starting revolutions in Burmatra and neighboring Asian countries.
Trader Tom of the China Seas was budgeted at $172,789 although the final negative cost was $169,248 (a $3,541, or 2%, under spend). It was the cheapest Republic serial of 1954. It was filmed between 8 September and 28 September 1953. The serial's production number was 1937.
Special effects were created by the Lydecker brothers.
Trader Tom of the China Seas's official release date is 11 January 1954, although this is actually the date the sixth chapter was made available to film exchanges. This was followed by a re-release of Secret Service in Darkest Africa, re-titled as Manhunt in the African Jungles, instead of a new serial. The next new serial, Man with the Steel Whip, followed in the summer.
- Sea Saboteurs (20min)
- Death Takes the Deck (13min 20s)
- Five Fathoms Down (13min 20s)
- On Target (13min 20s)
- The Fire Ship (13min 20s)
- Collision (13min 20s)
- War in the Hills (13min 20s)
- Native Execution (13min 20s)
- Mass Attack (13min 20s)
- Machine Murder (13min 20s) - a re-cap chapter
- Underwater Ambush (13min 20s)
- Twisted Vengeance (13min 20s)
- Mathis, Jack (1995). Valley of the Cliffhangers Supplement. Jack Mathis Advertising. pp. 3, 10, 136–137. ISBN 0-9632878-1-8.
- Cline, William C. (1984). "5. A Cheer for the Champions (The Heroes and Heroines)". In the Nick of Time. McFarland & Company, Inc. p. 91. ISBN 0-7864-0471-X.
- Cline, William C. (1984). "Filmography". In the Nick of Time. McFarland & Company, Inc. pp. 255–256. ISBN 0-7864-0471-X.
Canadian Mounties vs. Atomic Invaders (1953)
| Republic Serial
Trader Tom of the China Seas (1954)
Man with the Steel Whip (1954)