Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts
Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts (TAPA) is an arts service organization representing professional theatre, dance and opera companies in the City of Toronto. Amongst their 175 members are the Canadian Opera Company, Luminato, Factory Theatre, Mirvish Productions, and Theatre Passe Muraille. As a lobby and advocacy group, it has been credited with playing a major role in raising Toronto's theatrical profile. TAPA also presents the annual Dora Mavor Moore Awards, operates T.O. TIX (Toronto's central ticketing outlet), and publishes Go Live Toronto, an online guide to theatre, dance and opera performances in the city. In 2008, the organization published a detailed survey of Toronto's performing arts groups, the first of its kind to be conducted there.
TAPA began in 1974 with members of Toronto's theatre community who met informally to plan joint political activities and group initiatives. The group was formalized in 1977 as the Toronto Theatre Alliance and was incorporated in 1979. In 1979 the organization presented the first annual Dora Mavor Moore Awards.
- Wagner, Vit, "Theatre happenings", Toronto Star, 20 September 1991
- Go Live Toronto Archived 2006-04-02 at the Wayback Machine
- Knelman, Martin, "Performing arts pulse is strong", Toronto Star, 28 January 2008
- TAPA Stats Report Phase One Archived 2009-02-05 at the Wayback Machine
- CBC Arts, "Financial woes for Toronto Theatre Alliance", 21 January 2004