|Directed by||William A. Berke|
|Produced by||William H. Pine|
William C. Thomas
|Written by||Maxwell Shane|
|Based on||novel Black Tornado by John Guedel|
|Starring||Chester Morris |
|Music by||Freddie Rich|
|Cinematography||Fred Jackman, Jr.|
|Edited by||William H. Ziegler|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Pete Ramsey (Morris) is a hard-working coal miner who falls in love with and marries scheming showgirl Victory Kane (Kelly). Victory presses Pete to fight for the position of the mine superintendent, which he earns. Still unwilling to bear her poor surroundings and unsatisfied with being a miner's wife, Victory decides to climb the social ladder by having an affair with the wealthy owner of the mine, Gary Linden (Conway), unbeknownst to her faithful husband. Suddenly, a ferocious tornado hits the town and the mine, putting everyone in danger.
The film was based on the novel Black Tornado by John Guedel. (When Guedel was eight years old his father's factor was destroyed by a tornado.)
In July 1942, Pine-Thomas announced they would make a film of the novel starring their regular male leads, Richard Arlen and Chester Morris, plus Sylvia Sidney. In September 1942 they said Richard Arlen would make the film, which had the working title of Cyclone, after he finished Aerial Gunner. Then in March 1943 it was announced as a vehicle for Chester Morris only, as Black Tornado.
- Tornado Monthly Film Bulletin; London Vol. 10, Iss. 109, (Jan 1, 1943): 126
- Obituary: John Guedel Vosburgh, Dick. The Independent31 Dec 2001: 10.
- Para. Playing for a Repeater Parsons, Louella O. The Washington Post 18 July 1942: 14.
- SCREEN NEWS HERE AND IN HOLLYWOOD New York Times 29 Sep 1942: 19.
- SCREEN NEWS HERE AND IN HOLLYWOOD New York Times 3 Mar 1943: 19.
- SCREEN AND STAGE: Andy Hardy Gets Into More Romantic Trouble Scott, John L. Los Angeles Times 12 Mar 1943: 14.
- Whole City Immortalized Los Angeles Times 9 Mar 1943: 13.
- SCREEN NEWS HERE AND IN HOLLYWOOD New York Times 8 Mar 1943: 11.
- DRAMA AND FILM Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 13 Mar 1943: A7.
- BEFORE THE CAMERAS Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File); Los Angeles, Calif. [Los Angeles, Calif]11 Apr 1943: C2.
- SCREEN NEWS HERE AND IN HOLLYWOOD New York Times 16 Mar 1943: 14.
- Tornado at the American Film Institute Catalog
- Tornado on IMDb
- Tornado at BFI
- Tornado at TCMDB
- Review of film at Variety