|Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust|
Shown in Devon
|Location||Torquay, Devon, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
The hospital was founded as the Torbay Hospital, Provident Dispensary and Eye Infirmary in 1844. Construction started in 1850 with the first wing being completed in 1851 and a second wing being added in 1878.
After the hospital management decided to build a new hospital, a property known as Hengrave House was purchased from Major K.P. Kitson and a design was developed by Percy Adams. Much of the finance was donated by Ella and Violet Wills, daughters of Sir Edward Payson Wills, 1st Baronet. The new facility was officially opened in 1928 and a chapel, which had been designed by Charles Holden, was added in 1930. The hospital joined the National Health Service in 1948.
The hospital contains an accident & emergency department, which is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and contains a grass helipad.
The hospital has 650 parking spaces for visitors and 1,100 for staff. Staff pay at rates linked to their earnings from 50p to £2.50 per day. It uses technology supplied by WPS Parking Solutions B.V. to manage the car parks, which are of varying sizes scattered around the site. The parking for patients and visitors is closer to the hospital. Wards can give out daily or weekly tickets.
- "Torbay Hospital, Torquay". National Archives. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- "Mr. H. J. Packe on the Progress of the Torbay Hospital" (PDF). 14 December 2012. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- Fitch, Doug; Jeremiah, David; Gould, Jeremy; Sam, Smiles (1998). "Going Modern and Being British: Art, Architecture and Design in Devon, c.1910-60 (Art, Architecture and Design in Devon C.1910-1960)". Intellect. p. 39. ISBN 978-1871516951.
- "Great Devonians". Devon Life. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- Historic England. "Torbay Hospital Chapel (1280033)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- "Emergency Department". Rorbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- "Resiting Of Emergency Helicopter Landing Pad Including Regrading Of Land". Torbay Council. 5 February 2004. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- "Hospital parking - fair for all, not free for all". Building Better Healthcare. 6 November 2018. Retrieved 19 December 2018.