Topaze (1933 French film)
Topaze is a 1933 French comedy film directed by Louis J. Gasnier and starring Louis Jouvet, Simone Héliard and Marcel Vallée. It is based on the 1928 play Topaze by Marcel Pagnol. The same year an American version of the play Topaze was released, starring John Barrymore. In 1936 Pagnol himself remade the film in France.
|Directed by||Louis J. Gasnier|
|Produced by||Marcel Pagnol|
|Written by||Louis J. Gasnier |
Marcel Pagnol (play)
|Starring||Louis Jouvet |
|Distributed by||Les Films Paramount|
|6 January 1933|
An earnest schoolteacher who teaches his pupils that honesty is the best policy eventually changes his mind when confronted with the corruption of the business world.
- Louis Jouvet as Albert Topaze
- Simone Héliard as Ernestine
- Marcel Vallée as Muche
- Jane Loury as Baronne Pitart Vergolles
- Maurice Rémy as Roger de Tréville
- Pierre Larquey as Tamise
- Edwige Feuillère as Suzy Courtois
- Camille Beuve as Le mâitre-chanteur
- Henri Vilbert as Un agent de police
- Micheline Bernard
- Jacqueline Delubac
- Raymonde Debrennes
- Goble p.987
- Goble, Alan. The Complete Index to Literary Sources in Film. Walter de Gruyter, 1999.