Toodyay Post Office
|Toodyay Post Office|
Toodyay Post Office
|Former names||Newcastle Post & Telegraph Office|
|Address||115 Stirling Terrace|
|Town or city||Toodyay|
|Construction started||May 1897|
|Design and construction|
|Main contractor||Herbert Parker|
|Toodyay municipal inventory|
It was designed by colonial architect George Temple-Poole and was part of a scheme by the Public Works Department. Over 100 post offices were built to a standard design during the late 1890s; the Toodyay Post Office is one of the few remaining examples.
The telephone was connected in 1907, and by 1949 the Toodyay (telephone) Exchange serviced about 120 local connections. At this time the staff comprised three postal assistants and four telephonists. Nine mails were despatched weekly to Perth and ten were received via a taxi service ("Miss Toodyay" operating out of the Toodyay Garage) or by rail.
It was added to the State Heritage Register in 1995, with the listing noting that the building was "a fine example of both turn-of-the-century Public Works architecture and civic architecture of George Temple-Poole".
- "Toodyay Notes". Western Mail (Perth, WA : 1885 - 1954). Perth, WA: National Library of Australia. 14 May 1897. p. 47. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- Living History. Shire of Toodyay.
- Toodyay Post Office decorated with palms during Victory Day Celebrations, 1900, retrieved 17 January 2014
- Heritage Council of Western Australia, Heritage Assessment, retrieved 28 February 2014
- Pope, B.; Bush, F.; Broomfield, W.; Kelsall, D. (1993), Historical and Architectural Assessment of Post Offices in Western Australia owned by Australia Post (for the National Trust of Australia, WA), p. 62
- Erickson, R. (1974), Old Toodyay and Newcastle, Shire of Toodyay, p. 355
- Thomas, Alf (1949). A History of Toodyay. Western Australia: Toodyay Road Board. p. 29.
- "FLOODED SWAN". Kalgoorlie Miner (WA : 1895 - 1950). WA: National Library of Australia. 26 June 1945. p. 1. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Register of Heritage Places - Toodyay Post Office and Residence". Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- "Find a Post Office, street posting box, Parcel Locker or Parcel Collect location". auspost.com.au. Retrieved 23 October 2019.