Tony Chambers is a Creative Director, Design Consultant and Editor. He is the Founder and Director of design consultancy TC & Friends and Co-Chair of Brainstorm Design, Fortune Magazine's annual design and business conference held in Singapore. From 2003 to 2018 he served as Brand and Content Director, Editor-in-Chief and Creative Director of Wallpaper* Magazine, for which he still contributes. It has been said that "he is one of the most influential arbiters of taste in the design world".
Tony Chambers, Barbican, London 2017
|Occupation||Creative Director, Design Consultant and Editor|
Chambers joined Wallpaper* as Creative Director in January 2003, and was appointed Editor-in-Chief in March 2007. He is the longest serving editor of the magazine and in September 2017 he was promoted to Brand and Content Director.
Under his stewardship, Wallpaper* magazine was transformed into a global brand. He introduced a series of over 100 pocket City Guides, a website and iPad edition, an in-house creative agency, an interior design service, and the online WallpaperSTORE*. He is also the creator of Wallpaper*Handmade, an annual exhibition at Salone del Mobile which brings together the designers, craftsmen and manufacturers to collaborate on one-of-a-kind pieces. One of his latest projects is to co-chair the development of Brainstorm Design to be held in Singapore in March 2018.
He has twice been named the Professional Publishers Association's Designer of Year, and twice Editor of the Year for Lifestyle Magazines by the British Society of Magazine Editors.
Tony's design consultancy, TC & Friends, is involved in a number of high end projects, including OTOMOTO, a joint venture with artist Ryan Gander. OTOMOTO's first product is a "joyous" kitchen sink.
Judging, talks and consultancy
Chambers is a member of the University of the Arts London Conferments Committee. He also serves on the judging committee of the London Design Festival Design Medal, and the judging panels of the Rijksmuseum's Rijksstudio Award, and the Perrier-Jouët Arts Salon Prize. He talks and lectures globally on design, communication, marketing and branding. Most recently at Art Basel/Miami, Marka 2017 in Istanbul, Expo Revestir in São Paulo, China Central Academy of Fine Arts and the V&A in London.In October 2018 he curated a major design auction at Sotheby's in London.
- "Inside the high-concept home of Wallpaper's chief tastemaker", The Daily Telegraph, London, 31 October 2015.
- "Wallpaper selects editor-in-chief", The Guardian, London, 2 March 2007.
- "Wallpaper editor celebrates 200 issues of design and style",New York Post, USA, 14 October 2015.
- "Sarah Douglas promoted from creative director to editor of Wallpaper*, Tony Chambers to brand and content director", Talking New Media, London, 12 September 2017.
- "I absolutely love Wallpaper* City Guides", To Be Shelved, USA, 2 January 2013.
- "Wallpaper magazine launches e-store"' The Daily Telegraph, London, 27 June 2015
- "Milan 2014: Wallpaper* Handmade", Design Milk, USA, 15 April 2014
- "Singapore designs to be given global push with Time partnership"' Today Online, Singapore, 7 March 2017
- "Vogue and Frith shine at awards", The Guardian, London, 10 May 2001.
- "Winners of BSME awards announced at ceremony in London", The Drum, London, 9 November 2011.
- "Ryan Gander and Tony Chambers: how we redesigned the kitchen sink", Observer Design Magazine, London, 29 September 2019.
- "Best in show: Editor-in-Chief Tony Chambers wins BSME Mark Boxer Award", Wallpaper*, London, 20 November 2015
- "Mark Boxer Award", British Society of Magazine Editors, London, November 2014.
- "Governor Committees", University of the Arts, London, 10 January 2016.
- "2016 Judges", The London Design Festival, London, 2016
- "2017 International Rijksstudio Award", Rijksmuseum Amsterdam, 15 January 2017.
- Perrier-Jouet Arts Salon Welcomes The New Salon Members", Perrier-Jouet", London,
- "Space as Social Catalyst", Design Miami Miami USA, 30 November 2016
- "Marka 2016", Marka, Istanbul, 14 April 2016
- "Interior Design Trends", Expo Revestir, Brazil, 7 March 2017
- "Today's Design - Tomorrow's Reality", V&A, London, 19 October 2016
- "Tony Chambers Curates Cutting-Edge Design". Sotheby's London, 17 October 2018