Tomandandy is a musical duo from New York City, consisting of members Thomas Hajdu and Andy Milburn. While they are best known for their work scoring films, their portfolio includes music for television commercials as well as television programs, records and art installations.
|Origin||New York City, New York|
|Genres||Film score, soundtrack, trance music|
Andy Milburn was born in Texas and went to Princeton University for undergraduate as well as graduate work. At Princeton, his primary focus was creating computer music and computer music applications. During that time, he contributed to the early computer music system called Real-time Cmix. Thomas Hajdu was born in Canada and moved to the US to work on his graduate studies at Princeton University. Tom has sat on many award juries and chaired and spoken at international conferences about the impact of technology on content including TED, MIT Enterprise Forum and Digital Hollywood.
Milburn and Hajdu moved to New York after Princeton and started collaborating with film director Mark Pellington at MTV and film editors Hank Corwin and Bruce Ashley in the UK. Soon their work was being used in commercials, TV shows, feature films, art installations and record projects. Tomandandy quickly grew and they built a number of recording studios in New York and later in Los Angeles. At the same time, Tomandandy invested in technological innovations focusing on digital entertainment. A notable project was the MTV "Buzz" series.
In 1992, Tomandandy appeared on the Red Hot Organization's dance compilation album, Red Hot + Dance, contributing an original dance track, "Theme From Red Hot & Dance (Gothic Mix)." The album attempted to raise awareness and money in support of the AIDS epidemic, and all proceeds were donated to AIDS charities.
- Zoo TV: Live from Sydney (1994)
- "You'll Know You Were Loved" - Lou Reed from Friends Original TV Soundtrack - Reprise, 1995
- "In Our Sleep" - Laurie Anderson - Warner Bros., 1995
- "Cartridgemusic" from Offbeat: A Red Hot Soundtrip - TVT, 1996
- "It Goes Back" - David Byrne from Offbeat: A Red Hot Soundtrip - TVT, 1996
- United States of Poetry - PolyGram, 1996
- "Old Western Movies" - collaboration with William S. Burroughs from Kerouac: Kicks Joy Darkness - Ryko, 1997
- Family Tools (2013) (TV series theme)
|1994||Killing Zoe||Roger Avary||N/A|
|1995||Mr. Stitch||Roger Avary||Television film|
|1997||Going All the Way||Mark Pellington||N/A|
|2000||Waking the Dead||Keith Gordon||Composed with Scott Shields|
|2002||The Mothman Prophecies||Mark Pellington||N/A|
|2002||The Rules of Attraction||Roger Avary||N/A|
|2004||Mean Creek||Jacob Aaron Estes||N/A|
|2004||Freshman Orientation||Ryan Shiraki||N/A|
|2005||Love, Ludlow||Adrienne Weiss||N/A|
|2006||Right at Your Door||Chris Gorak||N/A|
|2006||The Hills Have Eyes||Alexandre Aja||N/A|
|2006||The Covenant||Renny Harlin||N/A|
|2008||Sleep Dealer||Alex Rivera||N/A|
|2008||The Strangers||Bryan Bertino||N/A|
|2008||The Echo||Yam Laranas||N/A|
|2009||The Good Guy||Julio DePietro||Composed with Kurt Oldman|
|2010||Resident Evil: Afterlife||Paul W. S. Anderson||N/A|
|2010||And Soon the Darkness||Marcos Efron||N/A|
|2011||I Melt with You||Mark Pellington||N/A|
|2011||The Details||Jacob Aaron Estes||N/A|
|2012||The Apparition||Todd Lincoln||N/A|
|2012||Resident Evil: Retribution||Paul W. S. Anderson||N/A|
|2013||Blaze You Out||Mateo Frazier
Diego Joaquin Lopez
|2014||Girl House||Trevor Matthews||N/A|
|2014||7 Minutes||Jay Martin||N/A|
|2015||Sinister 2||Ciaran Foy||N/A|
|2016||Havenhurst||Andrew C. Erin||N/A|
|2016||The Monster||Bryan Bertino||N/A|
|2016||City of Joy||Madeleine Gavin||Composed with Lokua Kanza|
|2017||47 Meters Down||Johannes Roberts||N/A|
|2017||Wish Upon||John R. Leonetti||N/A|
|2019||The Wolf's Call||Antonin Baudry||N/A|
|2019||The Silence||John R. Leonetti||N/A|
|2019||47 Meters Down: Uncaged||Johannes Roberts||N/A|
|2019||Lucky Day||Roger Avary||N/A|
Selected artistic collaborations
- No Maps for These Territories, documentary collaboration with author William Gibson and director Mark Neale, Slamdance, 2001
- Starn Brothers, Black Sun Burned, Leo Castelli Gallery, New York, 1998
- Tom Sachs, Sony Outsider, Thomas Healy Gallery, New York, 1998
- David Byrne, Grammy/Academy Award winner, production and composition for It Goes Back from Offbeat, TVT Records, 1997
- Lou Reed, Grammy Award winner, production and composition for You Know You Were Loved from Friends soundtrack, Reprise/Warner, 1997
- William S. Burroughs, Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters novelist, production and composition for Old Western Movies from Kicks Joy Darkness. Ryko, 1997
- Remix of the Gravity Kills song "Goodbye" on the Guilty remix single. TVT Records, 1996
- La Fura dels Baus, John Paul Jones, Peter Gabriel, collaboration for Spanish World's Fair, 1996
- Laurie Anderson, Creator of Performance Art, production and composition for In Our Sleep, Warner Brothers, 1995
- U2: Zoo TV, World Tour, 1994
- Oliver Stone, Academy Award-winning writer/director, additional music for feature films JFK, Warner Brothers 1991 and Natural Born Killers, Warner Brothers 1994
- Jenny Holzer, Laments, DiaArt Foundation, New York, 1989
- Schweiger, Daniel. "Industry Spotlight: Tom Hajdu, the Resident "T" in Tomandandy". Film Music Magazine.
- Fichera, J.Blake (1 July 2016). Scored To Death: Conversations with Some of Horror's Greatest Composers. Silman-James Press. pp. 352–403. ISBN 193524714X.
- Ho, Richard. "Two's Company: The Return of Tomandandy". Ad Age.
- Pener, Degen. "Making Music (Boom, Boom) On Computers". The New York Times.
- "Buzz, Episode 1". Network Awesome.
- "Chainsaw Awards 2009". IMDB.