Thomas Geoffrey Wilkinson (born 5 February 1948) is an English actor. He has twice been nominated for an Academy Award, for his roles in In the Bedroom (2001) and Michael Clayton (2007). In 2009, he won Golden Globe and Primetime Emmy Awards for Best Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Film for playing Benjamin Franklin in John Adams.
Thomas Geoffrey Wilkinson
5 February 1948
|Residence||North London, England|
|Alma mater||University of Kent|
Royal Academy of Dramatic Art
Diana Hardcastle (m. 1988)
Early life and education
Wilkinson was born in Wharfedale, West Riding of Yorkshire, the son of Marjorie and Thomas Wilkinson, a farmer. At the age of four, he moved with his family to Canada, where they lived for several years before returning to the United Kingdom and running a pub in Cornwall. Wilkinson graduated from the University of Kent at Canterbury, where he was a member of T24 Drama Society (then named UKCD) and attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
Wilkinson made his acting debut in 1976 and worked on several British television series, most notably the mini-series First Among Equals (1986). He first gained critical acclaim with his appearance as Mr Pecksniff, in the BBC's 1994 adaptation of Martin Chuzzlewit. Wilkinson made only the occasional film, including a brief appearance in 1995's Sense and Sensibility and a villain in The Ghost and the Darkness (1996). After becoming part of the ensemble cast of the comedy-drama The Full Monty in 1997, a role which earned him a BAFTA, he began to take film roles more frequently, including supporting roles in Oscar and Lucinda, Wilde, Shakespeare in Love, and The Patriot. He also starred with Jackie Chan in the 1998 film Rush Hour, as the evil British Ambassador/Juntao.
His portrayal of Matt Fowler, in Todd Field's In the Bedroom, received international praise from critics. For the role, he was named Best Actor of the Year by the New York Film Critics' Circle, and went on to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor. That success was followed up by Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Normal, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Batman Begins, and Separate Lies.
In 2007, Wilkinson played Arthur Edens, an attorney with bipolar disorder, in Michael Clayton and garnered much critical acclaim and a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. The same year, he played an uncle planning for murder in Woody Allen's Cassandra's Dream, and played opposite Billy Crudup as children's book writing partners in Dedication.
In 2008, Wilkinson portrayed American polymath Benjamin Franklin in the HBO mini-series John Adams. In the HBO film, Recount, Wilkinson portrayed American political adviser and lawyer, James A. Baker, in Baker's capacity as Chief Counsel to George W. Bush during the 2000 U.S. Presidential Election, receiving an Emmy Award for the former and a nomination for the latter. He also received a Golden Globe Award and Screen Actors' Guild Award nomination for his role in John Adams. He also portrayed Friedrich Fromm, Commander in Chief of the German Reserve Army, alongside Tom Cruise in the 2008 World War II thriller Valkyrie.
Wilkinson starred in the horror comedy Burke and Hare, which is directed by John Landis. He portrayed a covert CIA agent in Roman Polanski's The Ghost Writer. He played another historical character, Joseph P. Kennedy Sr., in the 2011 television miniseries The Kennedys, for which he was nominated for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie. He and his wife portrayed husband and wife Joe and Rose Kennedy. Earlier that year, he appeared in The Green Hornet and Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol.
In the 2005 New Year Honours, he was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) "for services to Drama".
The 6 November 2017 issue of American web comic Girl Genius has an airship from England named "HMA Tom Wilkinson"
|1976||Smuga cienia||Chef Ransome||Polish adaptation of Joseph Conrad's The Shadow Line|
|1990||Paper Mask||Dr Thorn|
|1993||In the Name of the Father||Grant Richardson|
|1994||Priest||Father Matthew Thomas|
|A Business Affair||Bob|
|Prince of Jutland||Hardvendel|
|1995||Sense and Sensibility||Mr Dashwood|
|1996||The Ghost and the Darkness||Robert Beaumont|
|1997||Smilla's Sense of Snow||Prof. Loyen|
|The Full Monty||Gerald Cooper|
|Wilde||Marquess of Queensberry|
|Oscar and Lucinda||Hugh Stratton|
|1998||The Governess||Charles Cavendish|
|Rush Hour||Thomas Griffin/Juntao|
|Shakespeare in Love||Hugh Fennyman|
|1999||Ride with the Devil||Orton Brown|
|Molokai: The Story of Father Damien||Brother Joseph Dutton|
|2000||Essex Boys||John Dyke|
|The Patriot||General Lord Cornwallis|
|Chain of Fools||Robert Bollingsworth|
|2001||In the Bedroom||Matt Fowler|
|Another Life||Mr Carlton|
|Black Knight||Sir Knolte of Malborough|
|2002||The Importance of Being Earnest||Dr. Frederick Chasuble|
|Before You Go||Frank|
|2003||Girl with a Pearl Earring||Pieter Van Ruijven|
|2004||If Only||Taxi driver|
|Piccadilly Jim||Bingley Crocker|
|Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind||Howard Mierzwiak|
|A Good Woman||Tuppy|
|2005||Ripley Under Ground||John Webster|
|Batman Begins||Carmine Falcone|
|The Exorcism of Emily Rose||Father Moore|
|Separate Lies||James Manning|
|2006||The Night of the White Pants||Max Hagan|
|The Last Kiss||Stephen|
|Michael Clayton||Arthur Edens|
|Valkyrie||Colonel General Friedrich Fromm|
|44 Inch Chest||Archie|
|2010||The Ghost Writer||Paul Emmett|
|Burke and Hare||Dr. Robert Knox|
|Jackboots on Whitehall||Albert and Joseph Goebbels (voice)||aka Nazi Invasion: Team Europe|
|2011||The Green Hornet||James Reid|
|The Conspirator||Reverdy Johnson|
|The Debt||Stefan Gold|
|Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol||IMF Secretary||Uncredited|
|2012||The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel||Sir Graham Dashwood|
|Fury||Xavier||aka The Samaritan|
|2013||The Lone Ranger||Latham Cole|
|Felony||Detective Carl Summer|
|2014||The Grand Budapest Hotel||Author|
|Good People||DI John Halden|
|Selma||President Lyndon B. Johnson|
|2015||Unfinished Business||Timothy McWinters|
|Bone in the Throat||Charlie|
|Little Boy||Fr Oliver|
|2016||The Choice||Dr. Shep|
|This Beautiful Fantastic||Alfie Stephenson|
|2018||The Catcher Was a Spy||Paul Scherrer|
|Dead in a Week: Or Your Money Back||Leslie||Netflix Original Film|
|The Happy Prince||Fr Dunne|
|The Titan||Professor Martin Collingwood|
|2020||SAS: Red Notice||Lewis||Post-production|
|1979||Crime and Punishment||Cadet||Episode: "Part 1"|
|1983||Panorama||Czuma||Episode: "Two Weeks in Winter: How the Army Took Over Poland"|
|Spyship||Martin Taylor||6-part BBC television miniseries|
|1984||Strangers and Brothers||George Passant||2 episodes|
|Sharma and Beyond||Vivian||Television film|
|Squaring the Circle||Rulewski||Television film|
|1985||A Pocket Full of Rye||Detective Inspector Neele||Television film|
|Travelling Man||"Granny" Jackson||Episode: "On the Hook"|
|Happy Families||Jack||Episode: "Cassie"|
|1986||First Among Equals||Raymond Gould||10-episode miniseries|
|1988||The Woman He Loved||Ernest Aldrich Simpson||Television film|
|The Attic: The Hiding of Anne Frank||Silberbauer||Television film|
|The Ruth Rendell Mysteries||Robert Hathall||3 episodes|
|1989||First and Last||Stephen||Television film|
|1990||Inspector Morse||Music Master Jake Normington||Episode: "The Infernal Serpent"|
|TECX||Hugo Gillon||Episode: "The Wine Business"|
|1990–1996||Screen Two||David Hanratty / Father McAteer / Dr. Middleton||4 episodes|
|1991||Parnell & the Englishwoman||Sir Charles Russell||Episode: "The Libel"|
|Lovejoy||Ashley Wilkes||Episode: "One Born Every Minute"|
|Prime Suspect||Peter Rawlins||2 episodes|
|Resnick: Lonely Hearts||Detective Inspector Charlie Resnick||Television film|
|1993||Stay Lucky||Allon||Episode: "Gilding the Lily"|
|Resnick: Rough Treatment||Detective Inspector Charlie Resnick||Television film|
|1994||The Inspector Alleyn Mysteries||Gerald Lacklander||Episode: "Scales of Justice"|
|Shakespeare: The Animated Tales||Buckingham (voice)||Episode: "King Richard II"|
|Performance||Duke Vincentio||Episode: "Measure for Measure"|
|Martin Chuzzlewit||Seth Pecksniff||6-episode miniseries|
|1996||Eskimo Day||Hugh Lloyd||Television film|
|1997||Cold Enough for Snow||Hugh Lloyd||Television film|
|1999||David Copperfield||Narrator (Old David Copperfield)||Television film|
|2002||The Gathering Storm||Sir Robert Vansittart||Television film|
|An Angel for May||Sam Wheeler||Television film|
|2003||Normal||Roy Applewood||Television film|
|2008||John Adams||Benjamin Franklin||Miniseries|
|Recount||James Baker||Television film|
|A Number||Salter||Television film|
|2009||The Gruffalo||Fox (voice)||Television film|
|2011||The Kennedys||Joseph P. Kennedy Sr.||Miniseries|
|The Gruffalo's Child||Fox (voice)||Television film|
|2017||The Kennedys: After Camelot||Joseph P. Kennedy Sr.||Cameo; The Kennedys sequel|
|2018||Watership Down||Threarah (voice)||Miniseries|
Awards and nominations
- "Person Details for Thomas G Wilkinson, "England and Wales Birth Registration Index, 1837-2008" — FamilySearch.org".
- "Honorary graduates 2000–09". University of Kent. 2010. Retrieved 7 October 2010.
- Brown, Mark (22 February 2008). "'The thing you can't fake is that he has a moral authority ... he brings a sense of gravity, detail and intelligence'". The Guardian. Retrieved 7 October 2010.
- Born January–March 1948, according to the Births, Marriages & Deaths Index of England & Wales, 1916–2005.; at ancestry.com
- Tom Wilkinson Biography Archived 5 May 2009 at the Wayback Machine. Tiscali.co.uk.
- Tom Wilkinson biography. Yahoo! Movies.
- Riding, Alan (10 March 2002). "Oscar Films/View From Abroad; The Actor Next Door Quietly Savors His New Fame". query.nytimes.com. Retrieved 24 July 2008.
- Moss, Stephen (5 April 2011). "Tom Wilkinson: down with the big boys". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- "Newsmakers". news.bbc.co.uk. 15 February 2002. Retrieved 24 July 2008.
- "In the Bedroom at Meta Critic". Metacritic.com. 23 November 2001. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "Official Casting for John Landis' 'Burke & Hare' Comedy". Bloody-disgusting.com. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "Fisher, Serkis, Wilkinson in 'Burke and Hare'". Heatvisionblog.com. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- 2011 Emmy Nominations List: 63rd Primetime Emmy Nominations Announced Archived 7 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine, Huffington Post, 14 July 2011. Accessed 15 July 2011.
- Poole, Oliver (13 February 2002). "New stardom for steel city stripper". The Telegraph. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- "Tom Wilkinson Actor". Encyclopaedia Britannica. Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- "Cine: Bardem, serio candidato al Oscar para España". Deutsche Welle. 20 February 2008. Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- Martínez de León, Nidia (5 February 2018). "El actor Tom Wilkinson cumple 70 años". Vanguardía (Mexican newspaper). Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- "Starporträt Tom Wilkinson". Gala. Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- "Nominado a Mejor Actor de Reparto por Michael Clayton". ¡Hola!. 29 January 2008. Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- 2 mins ago. "Honorary graduates 2000–09 – About Kent – University of Kent". Kent.ac.uk. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "No. 57509". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2004. p. 13.
- "The Gruffalo's Child". BBC One. Retrieved 10 December 2011.
- Behind the Scenes: Voice-Over Talent (UK). 17 July 2012 – via YouTube.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tom Wilkinson.|