Titanic Memorial (New York City)

The Titanic Memorial is a 60-foot-tall (18 m) lighthouse located at Fulton and Pearl streets in Manhattan, New York City. It was built, due in part to the instigation of Margaret Brown, to remember the people who died on the RMS Titanic on April 15, 1912. Its design incorporates the use of a time ball.

History

The lighthouse was originally erected by public subscription in 1913. It stood above the East River on the roof of the old Seamen's Church Institute of New York and New Jersey at the corner of South Street and Coenties Slip. From 1913 to 1967 the time ball at the top of the lighthouse would drop down the pole to signal twelve noon to the ships in the harbor. This time ball mechanism was activated by a telegraphic signal, from the Naval Observatory in Washington D.C.

In July 1968 the Seamen's Church Institute moved to 15 State Street. That year, the Titanic Memorial Lighthouse was donated by the Kaiser-Nelson Steel & Salvage Corporation to the South Street Seaport Museum. It was erected at the entrance to the museum complex, on the corner of Fulton and Pearl streets, in May 1976, with funds provided by the Exxon Corporation.

Other memorials

Straus Park, 6 miles (9.7 km) away, is a memorial to Ida and Isidor Straus, who died on Titanic. Additional memorials exist in Canada, England, Northern Ireland and Washington, D.C.

Media related to Titanic Memorial (New York City) at Wikimedia Commons

This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.