4 October 1939
Wanda Ventham (m. 1976)
|Parent(s)||Henry Carlton Cumberbatch|
Carlton was born in Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, the son of Pauline Ellen Laing (née Congdon), who died on 11 October 2007, and Henry Carlton Cumberbatch, a decorated naval officer of both World Wars and a prominent figure of London high society. His grandfather, Henry Arnold Cumberbatch CMG, was the Consul General of Queen Victoria in Turkey.
He has had a long and distinguished career in both the theatre (Her Royal Highness etc.) and in television, appearing in numerous BBC television series over the years since 1966 to the present day, including the sitcoms Executive Stress, Keeping Up Appearances, Next of Kin and in the television film The Scarlet Pimpernel. His film career has included roles in Baby Love (1968), The Breaking of Bumbo (1970), That Lucky Touch (1975), High Road to China (1983) and Parting Shots (1999). He is currently with the theatrical agency Susan Angel and Kevin Francis Ltd. in London.
He is married to actress Wanda Ventham, whom he met in 1970 while filming sequences for the drama series A Family At War and they have been married since April 1976. They appeared together in Series 2 of BBC drama The Lotus Eaters in 1973 and Series 3 and 4 of BBC series Sherlock in 2014 as the parents of the title character, played by their son, actor Benedict Cumberbatch.
- Timothy Carlton birth name, thegazette.co.uk; accessed 2 October 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 February 2015. Retrieved 19 February 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Cumberbatch, Robert (13 December 2007). "Commander Henry Carlton Cumberbatch". Cumberbatch Family History, Cumberbatch Genealogy and Cumberbatch Ancestry. Cumberbatch family history site. Archived from the original on 17 October 2013. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- Igor Lyman, Victoria Konstantinova. The Ukrainian South as Viewed by Consuls of the British Empire (Nineteenth - Early Twentieth Centuries). Volume 1: British Consuls in the Port City of Berdyansk (Kyiv, 2018), pages 271-287
- Lyman Igor, Konstantinova Viktoria. British Consul in Berdyansk Cumberbatch, Great-great-grandfather of Modern Sherlock Holmes, in Scriptorium nostrum, 2017, № 2 (8), p. 195-207
- Spotlight: largest database of actors in the UK since 1927.
- Passingham, Kenneth (22 March 1975). "It's good news to know I'm still fanciable". TV Times: 21–22.
- Ancestry.com. England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008. Original data: General Register Office. England and Wales Civil Registration Indexes. London, England: General Register Office.
- "Sherlock: Benedict Cumberbatch 'so proud' of parents". The Telegraph. 2 January 2014.