Timeline of the Syrian Civil War (September–December 2016)
- After capturing the Technical College in South Aleppo during the 2016 Aleppo campaign, the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) and Hezbollah entered the Armament School, under Army of Conquest control.
- Rebel forces at Muadamiyat al-Sham agree to surrender to the SAA in exchange for safe passage to rebel-controlled territory, ending the four-year Siege of Darayya and Muadamiyat.
- Syrian government forces recaptured territory previously lost during the rebel offensive in Aleppo that opened a new unsecured corridor via the Ramouseh district
- On 17 September 2016, US airplanes struck a target of Dayr Az Zawr. Centcom declared that they halted airstrikes when they were informed by Russian officials that the target hit by US airplanes may have been a Syrian Arab Army target. RT reported that 62 Syrian Army soldiers were killed. The Syrian Arab News Agency said that an ISIS assault on the Syrian Army began right after the US airstrike.
- Syrian Arab Army offensive on the rebel held parts of Eastern Aleppo, seize 15-20% of it.
- After failed negotiations in Eastern Ghouta between Jaysh al-Islam rebels and Government officials, the SAA renewed their offensive at Al-Reyhan Western Farms.
- The Russian sponsored 24 hour ceasefire reported over 44 violations according to the Russian Center for Reconciliation of the Warring Parties in Syria.
The Syrian Air Force killed a Free Syrian Army Chief of Staff in the Homs region, Colonel Shouki Ayyoub was killed alongside 5 rebels in the town of Al-Rastan.
During a summit of Pacific leaders in Peru, U.S President Barack Obama expressed his belief that Syrian Army would take the Eastern side of Aleppo from Rebel and Jihadist Forces. He also expressed doubts in short term prospects in Syria.
The Russian Federation and China vetoed a UN Security Council resolution seeking a humanitarian pause in Aleppo city. Two Russian medics were killed in Eastern Aleppo by jihadist shelling on a Russian field military hospital, the attack was condemned with harsh remarks by Russia’s Defense Ministry spokesman Major General Igor who blamed the USA, UK and France as "sponsors of terrorism".
The Syrian army captures two-thirds of the rebel-held part of Aleppo, during its offensive to seize all the Eastern Suburbs. meanwhile the Russian Foreign Minister expressed that Syrian rebels who refuse to accept the US-Russia deal would be considered "terrorists" and would be eliminated.
Over 50 buses carrying militants and civilians leave the besieged Eastern Aleppo and arrives to Rashideen in Western Aleppo countryside. Among those evacuated was Bana a Syrian seven year old famous twitter which became famous for their updates regarding the live in Eastern Aleppo.
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant executed two Turkish soldiers captured during the Turkish military intervention in Syria by burning them alive.
Syrian opposition and Government delegations agree on talks to achieve a cease fire at Wadi Barada, Jabhat Fateh Al-Sham rebels and Free Syrian Army would be given free passage to Idlib Governorate in exchange of the rebel surrender of Wadi Barada in West Damascus. If so Al-Zabadani and Madaya would be isolated and could be used by the Syrian Government to press for another ceasefire and evacuation.
- Fadel, Leith (1 September 2016). "Syrian Army, Hezbollah enter Armament School in southern Aleppo". Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Another besieged Damascus suburb surrenders". The National. 1 September 2016. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Syrian government forces recapture areas in southwest Aleppo
- "More Than 100 Dead In Attacks Before Syria Truce". Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Syria: US and Russia agree to 48-hour truce extension". Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Coalition halts airstrike in progress against possible Syrian military".
- "Coalition Halts Airstrike in Progress Against Possible Syrian Military Position". U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE. 18 September 2016. Archived from the original on 18 September 2016.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "US-led coalition aircraft strike Syrian army positions, kill 62 soldiers – military".
- "The Inside Source". Archived from the original on 10 October 2016. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Syria conflict: IS 'ousted from symbolic town of Dabiq'; BBC, 16 October 2016
- Desk, News (24 October 2016). "Ceasefire in Syria violated 44 times in 24 hours: Russian reconciliation center". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "Russia, Syria Halt Aleppo Airstrikes Ahead of 8-Hour Lull". 18 October 2016. Retrieved 24 November 2016 – via The New York Times.
- Editorial, Reuters. "Russia summons Belgian envoy in row over Syria air strike". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "Las autoridades anuncian la salida de las primeras personas de Alepo por corredores". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Fadel, Leith (24 October 2016). "Syrian Army renews East Ghouta offensive after failed peace negotiations". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Fadel, Leith (25 October 2016). "Jihadist commander beheaded by jihadist rebels in Idlib". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Fadel, Leith (26 October 2016). "Syrian Air Force kills high ranking FSA commander in northern Homs". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Tomson, Chris (3 November 2016). "BREAKING: ISIS shoots down Russian helicopter near Palmyra". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Tomson, Chris (3 November 2016). "VIDEO: Russian pilots escape death moments before ISIS missile hits their helicopter". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Desk, News (8 November 2016). "Aleppo will be captured by year-end: Lebanese analyst". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Fadel, Leith (10 November 2016). "Rebels accuse the US of attacking their forces in Idlib". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Desk, News (10 November 2016). "Up to 6,000 militants attempting to enter east Aleppo: Russian FM". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Antonopoulos, Paul (22 November 2016). "Obama believes Syrian army will take Aleppo". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Regime forces Re-gain control and advance over rebels in Aleppo city
- "Syrian troops reverse rebel advance west of Aleppo".
- AFP (12 November 2016). "Syria regime eroding rebel gains in Aleppo: monitor".
- Fadel, Leith (24 November 2016). "Syrian Air Force kills Turkish soldiers in east Aleppo: report". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "Three Turkish soldiers killed in regime attack in Syria: Military". Hurriyet Daily News. 24 November 2016.
- Charkatli, Izat (27 November 2016). "Syrian Air Force strikes top-ranking Ahrar Al-Sham meeting in Homs". Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Tomson, Chris (27 November 2016). "Israeli Air Force strikes Islamic State militants inside Syria for the first time". Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Yakovlev, Ivan (5 December 2016). "Russia, China vetoed UNSC resolution on Aleppo ceasefire". Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Antonopoulos, Paul (5 December 2016). "Russia blames the West for the death of two Russian medics in Aleppo". Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- "Syria army closes in on key Aleppo district - The Peninsula Qatar". Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Antonopoulos, Paul (6 December 2016). "Lavrov says the jihadist who do not leave Aleppo will be exterminated". Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Topping, Alexandra (11 December 2016). "Isis regains control of Palmyra, forcing Syrian forces to retreat". Retrieved 18 December 2016 – via The Guardian.
- Abdulrahim, Raja (12 December 2016). "Syria Expands Control to Most of Aleppo" – via Wall Street Journal.
- Antonopoulos, Paul (19 December 2016). "Around 50 buses leave East Aleppo full of militants and civilians, including infamous Bana". Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- "Battle for Syria's al-Bab intensifies, 14 Turkish soldiers killed: army". 21 December 2016. Retrieved 24 February 2017 – via Reuters.
- "Syrian army announces victory in Aleppo in boost for Assad". Reuters. 22 December 2016.
- "Aleppo evacuation is complete, Red Cross says". Reuters. 22 December 2016.
- Fadel, Leith (22 December 2016). "ISIS burns alive two Turkish soldiers in eastern Aleppo". Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- Fadel, Leith (29 December 2016). "Last rebel bastion in western Damascus on the verge of surrender". Retrieved 24 February 2017.