Timeline of the Syrian Civil War (May–August 2016)
- Mustafa Badreddine, a senior Hezbollah is killed by suspected artillery bombardment by an armed Sunni group at Damascus International Airport.
- Opposition fighters, consisting of Ahrar al-Sham and the al Qaeda-affiliated Nusra Front capture the Syrian Alawite village of al-Zara and dozens of Alawite civilians are kidnapped.
- New satellite imagery from Stratfor appears to reveal the destruction of four Russian attack helicopters and 20 lorries at the Tiyas military airbase after a reported attack which was conducted last week by the ISIL.
- U.S. backed Syrian Democratic Forces, led by Kurdish forces, launch an operation to capture Raqqa, the de facto capital of Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. One week later the offensive stalls.
- Nusra Front rebels have captured the town of Deir Khabiyeh, south of Damascus.
- Russian aircraft conducts eight air strikes targeting the Syrian National Hospital in Idlib city left at least 50 dead with another 250 injured.
- Syrian Democratic Forces seizes 11 villages and farms from the Islamic State in northern countryside of Raqqa. Meanwhile, a pro-government source announces SAA advancing towards Al-Raqqa City in race to capture it.
- Syrian government aircraft conducts heavy raids on residential areas for months in Idlib, killing more than 30 people and injuring dozens.
- Syrian government air strikes hit the Qaterji neighborhood in Aleppo killed nine civilians, and two others, including a child, were killed in the Mayssar neighborhood of the city. Another five civilians are killed in two other districts and on the city’s outskirts.
- Syrian government and Russian jets bomb the rebel-held Idlib, setting fire to a bustling market in the heart of the city, injuring more than 30 people, and killing at least three.
- Regime air strikes on the UN's children's agency UNICEF and doctors at Al-Hakim children's hospital, the nearby Al-Bayan hospital away and the Abdulhadi Fares Clinic, in the rebel-controlled part of Aleppo city spark a desperate bid by medical staff to rescue at least nine newborns and kill 15 people.
- The besieged rebel-held Darayya town receives its first United Nations food delivery since 2012. Shortly afterwards, Assad forces bombard the town, dropping indiscriminate barrel bombs from helicopters as residents shared food. The United States condemns Assad regime, accusing it of bombing starving civilians just hours after they received a long-delayed UN aid shipment. France also voices outrage, accusing Damascus of "extraordinary duplicity”, saying the regime had finally granted access for aid after heavy international pressure “and then the bombing restarted."
- Russia announces that the mingling of the "moderate opposition" with the Al-Qaeda branch in Syria, Al-Nusra its complicating (its) anti-terrorist action.”
- Government helicopters strike residential neighborhoods of Katirci and Tarik el-Bab in opposition-held parts of Aleppo city, killing 15 civilians and injuring dozens of others.
- 352 ISIS fighters and 37 SDF combatants, as well as an estimated 78 civilians are killed in a series of bombings executed by the ISIS to fend off the SDF attack on Manbij stronghold.
- During the night of 17 and 18 June, the jihadist rebels led by al-Nusra imposed full control over the Southern Aleppo villages of Khalsah, Zeitan and Birnah, despite suffering heavy losses, including the death of a top commander. Overall, 186 fighters on both sides were killed in the fighting over the previous four days, 100 rebels and 86 pro-government fighters.
- Syrian government and Russian air strikes hit ISIS-held al-Quriyah town in the suburbs of Deir Az Zor, killing at least 82 people, including 58 civilians.
- The Army of Conquest captures the town of Kansaba in the province of Latakia from government forces.
- Three government officers are killed when their helicopter crashes in the south near ISIS-held territory.
- Government attack hits a crowded market in the Tariq al-Bab district in Aleppo city, killing 17 including five children. Meanwhile, a coalition airstrike targeting the ISIS in Majib kills 9 civilians including 7 children.
- Heavy Syrian Arir Force bombardment of a rebel-held Jayrud town kill at least 31 people including two medical staff. The town's medical center is hit and its director Amjad al-Danaf is killed. Ahrar al-Sham attacks nearby government positions "in response to warplanes shelling Jayrud".
- Two women and a child are killed in regime shelling of the eastern rebel-held Sayf al-Dawla neighborhood of Aleppo.
- Russian overnight strikes kill three Palestinians and injured at least five others in the Khan Eshieh refugee camp, with several civilian homes damaged, as was a social services center.
- Amid Russian and Syrian air support, Tiger Forces capture Mallah Farms imposing fire-control over Castello Road. This road is the only supply route to rebel-controlled Aleppo. Heavy fighting inflicts major death toll amongst Islamists groups. This is part of Northern Aleppo offensive started in late June.
- The President of France Francois Hollande called for international military action against Al Nusra Front, arguing that “We (International Coalition) must also avoid a situation whereby as ISIS becomes weaker, other groups become stronger.”
- As three people are killed in an airstrike destroying a hospital, journalists and activists accuse the Syrian government and its allies of deliberately and repeatedly bombing infrastructure such as bakeries and hospitals. According to the Syrian Network for Human Rights, 80 medical facilities in Syria have been attacked in 2016 and that at least 81 medical workers have been killed in 2016.
- Russian or Syrian government air raids on rebel-held districts of Aleppo city killed at least 25 civilians including children. A hospital in the Maadi neighborhood is hit, wounding some of the staff and patients inside.
- Russian and government air raids on Syria have killed over 50 civilians in the last 3 days, the strikes targeted bakeries and hospitals.
- The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reports U.S.-led coalition airstrikes on the Islamic State-held city of Manbij in northern Syria kills at least 56 civilians, including 11 children, and injure dozens more. Reuters
- The Turkish pilots who downed a Russian Su-24 are arrested in Turkey; according to a Turkish official both were arrested over links to a coup and not because of the downing of the Russian plane.
- Russian helicopter downed, killing all five on board. It is the worst single incident for Russia since they entered the civil war. Idlib rebels were filmed desecrating the bodies of the crew of the helicopter stripping their uniforms and showing the wreckage of the Mil Mi-8.
- An apparent chlorine chemical-attack by government forces hits Saraqeb in Idlib Governorate; about thirty people are injured. The site of the attack is near where the Russian helicopter was downed, though it is not apparent whether this is coincidental.
After capturing most of the 1070 Al-Hamdaniyah Housing Project, government forces also stormed the Air Force Technical Base. The former government commander of the base Brig. Gen. Deeb Bazi was killed as he led the assault. Back-and-forth fighting at the Academy continued into early September, when on 4 September, pro-government forces finally overwhelmed the rebel defenders and captured the whole complex. Thus, government troops reestablished the siege of rebel-held areas of Aleppo.
- Jund al-Aqsa, Jaish al Ezza and the Free Syrian Army have captured the town of Soran and a number of villages in the vicinity in the northern Hama province from government forces.
- "Syria's al-Qaeda branch seizes central Alawite village". Al Arabiya. Associated Press. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- Reuters Editorial (13 May 2016). "Insurgents seize Syrian Alawite village, killing 19: Observatory". Reuters.
- "Syria civil war: ISIL bombs rock Assad-held cities".
- "State media: At least 78 killed in Syria bombings". USA TODAY. 23 May 2016.
- John Davison (23 May 2016). "Bombs kill nearly 150 in Syrian government-held cities: monitor". Reuters.
- "Syria conflict: IS 'destroyed helicopters' at Russian base". BBC News.
- Reuters Editorial (24 May 2016). "U.S.-backed Syrian alliance launches new attack near Islamic State capital". Reuters India.
- "Syrian rebels on outskirts of ISIL-held Manbij in north". The National. 8 June 2016. Archived from the original on 8 June 2016. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- Wilgenburg, Wladimir van (10 June 2016). "Report From the Front: ISIS Crumbling in Key City on Turkish Border". The Daily Beast.
- "Islamic State drives Syria rebels from near Turkish border - Region - World - Ahram Online". Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- Tomson, Chris (27 May 2016). "Rebel frontline collapses in northern Aleppo - Map update". Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- "The Syrian Democratic Forces start their offensive towards al-Tabaqa and the Euphrates Lake, and 61 members from the "Islamic State" killed during six days of battles". Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- Fadel, Leith (31 May 2016). "Syrian Army joins the race to Raqqa as several thousand soldiers pour into east Hama". Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- Syrian and Russian aircraft step up bombing of Aleppo city: monitor. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- Syria regime strikes kill 31 in and near Aleppo. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- "US asks Russia not to target Al-Qaeda branch in Syria – Russian FM Lavrov". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- Syrian government war planes launch air strikes on rebel-held areas in Aleppo. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- Syria newborns saved by staff after hospital attacks. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- Assad forces ‘bombed Daraya’ after food delivery. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- Entous, Adam; Lubold, Gordon (10 June 2016). "U.S. Says Friendly Fire Killed Syrian Allies". Retrieved 2 August 2016 – via Wall Street Journal.
- Regime barrel-bomb attacks kill 15 in Syria’s Aleppo. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- Syria: Hezbollah suffers highest death toll in battle so far. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- "Al Nusra jihadists capture village of Khalsah". Al Masdar News. 17 June 2016.
- "Al Nusra led jihadists capture Zeitan". Al Masdar News. 17 June 2016.
- "Jihadists capture three villages in South Aleppo". Al Masdar News. 18 June 2016.
- "IS mounts fierce defence of besieged Syrian bastion". Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- Regime airstrikes kill 10 in Syria's Raqqa. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- Syria's civil war: 'Dozens killed' in Deir Az Zor raids. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- Syria rebels retake key town in western coastal province: monitor, rebels. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- Syrian army shelling kills more than 30 after pilot slain. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "0120 خ د / سياسي / المرصد السوري : مصرع 9 أشخاص في قصف جوي تابع لقوات النظام السوري على مدرسة في حلب". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- A militant detonate himself and kills 7 rebel commanders in Inkhel
- 3 Palestinians killed in airstrike on Syrian refugee camp. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- Three dead after airstrike hits Palestinian refugee camp in Syria. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- Barrington, Lisa; Perry, Tom (7 July 2016). "Syrian army fire cuts only road into rebel-held Aleppo". Reuters. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- France urges military action against al-Nusra Front
- Airstrike Destroys Another Hospital in Syria, Killing 3. Retrieved July 16, 2016.
- Air raids kill 25 civilians in Syria's Aleppo: monitor. Retrieved July 16, 2016.
- Air strikes kill 24 in rebel-held Syrian towns: monitoring group. Reuters.
- Syria conflict: Russian jets 'bomb refugee camp on Jordan border'. BBC.
- "Syrian army seizes only road into rebel-held Aleppo". 17 July 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016 – via Reuters.
- "Turkish pilots who downed Russian jet detained". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Rebels in northern Syria say U.S. has stopped paying them". McClatchy Newspapers. 9 December 2014. Archived from the original on 9 February 2015. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
The aid cutoff will not affect fighters from two groups now fighting to hold onto areas of Aleppo, Syria’s one-time commercial center. Those groups include some 600 fighters from Harakat Hazm, which had been the biggest recipient of U.S. aid, and as many as 1,000 fighters fielded by the Nuruddin az Zinki force
- "Syria war: Rebels 'behead 12-year-old boy' on video". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- Chris, Tomson (20 July 2016). "U.S. stops aid to Syrian rebel group after beheading of Palestinian boy". al-masdar News. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- Chris Kozak (5 August 2016). "Syria Situation Report: July 30 – August 5, 2016" (PDF). Institute for the Study of War. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- Chris Kozak (29 July 2016). "Syria Situation Report: July 22–29, 2016" (PDF). Institute for the Study of War. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- "Syria's Jabhat al-Nusra splits from al-Qaeda and changes its name". washingtonpost.com. 28 July 2016. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Syria Outlines Plans for Conquest of Aleppo, Backed by Russian Power". The New York Times. 29 July 2016. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Syria's war: Swap offer for bodies of Russian air crew". Al Jazeera English. 6 August 2016. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- WARNING + 18 Video: Syria's Islamist rebels desecrate bodies of fallen Russian soldiers
- Shaheen, Kareem (2 August 2016). "Dozens ill after suspected chlorine attack in Syria". theguardian.com. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Syria's civil war: Suspected chemical attack in Aleppo". Al Jazeera English. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "IS claims deaths of 50 US-backed rebels in Syria suicide attack". Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Charkatli, Izat (14 August 2016). "Suicide bombing kills dozens of jihadists". Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Adra, Zen (17 August 2016). "Field Report: Syrian Army storms Technical Base in southern Aleppo". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "SAA Retreats From The Technical College!". Archived from the original on 30 August 2016. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "BREAKING - Artillery Base in South Aleppo under SAA Control!". The Inside Source. 4 September 2016. Archived from the original on 30 August 2016. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- Fadel, Leith (4 September 2016). "Syrian Army captures strategic military base in southern Aleppo". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- Editorial, Reuters. "Siege of eastern Aleppo resumes as Syrian government re-takes army site". Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "IS ousted from Turkey border as Syria army besieges Aleppo". Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "After 4 Years Of Siege, Civilians And Rebels Evacuate Syria's Daraya". Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Syrian rebels advance further toward government-held Hama city: monitor, rebels". 31 August 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2016 – via Reuters.
- "Syrian rebels make gains in northern Hama province, capture strategic town". Retrieved 1 September 2016.