Timeline of the Syrian Civil War (August–December 2014)
Rebel militants withdrew from the Lebanese town of Arsal after a ceasefire with the Lebanese army.
ISIS forces captured two towns - Akhtarin and Turkmanbareh - and several villages north of Aleppo, after battles with other rebel groups.
By mid-August 2014, ISIL was the most successful group in Syria, controlling the main areas of Syrian oil and gas fields.
ISIS forces captured the Tabqa airbase from the Syrian military.
Al-Qaeda affiliate Al-Nusra Front retook the Syria border crossing with Israel-occupied Golan at Quneitra, with shells dropping across the border. An IDF officer was wounded and Israel shelled two Syrian bases.
Syrian fighter jets launched a precise attack on an IS HQ in the city of Mohasan, during a meeting between military leaders and sharia judges. The attack resulted in the death of most leaders inside, while others were wounded. Another airstrike occurred against an IS camp near Baath Dam, killing and wounding dozens of insurgents. According to SOHR, ISIS executed 160 Syrian soldiers between 27 and 28 August.
The Syrian Army began shelling al-Nusra Front positions in the Qunetira border post. On 2 September, ISIL revealed that it had killed Steven Sotloff. On 3 September, the Syrian Army killed Malek al Tal, a senior al-Nusra commander in the Qalamoun region in Syria. He was responsible for the kidnapping of several Christian nuns in Syria earlier in the year.
Also, ISIS launched an attempt to capture the Deir ez-Zor military airport, but the attempt was repelled while the army launched airstrikes on ISIS positions. ISIS lost at least 47 fighters. On 5 September the Syrian Air Force killed 18 IS fighters during airstrikes on the city of Raqqa.
The ISIL killed a Lebanese soldier in the town of Arsal. Also, the Syrian Air Force carried out several airstrikes in Raqqa targeting an Islamic court and a training camp. The Syrian Air Force also targeted a bakery, killing dozens of civilians.
Syrian Army units retreated from the Khan al Hallabat area, after rebels advanced there. At the same time, rebels captured Tell al-Mal, which connects the Quneitra and Daraa provinces. Rebels also captured Al-Mal, al-Taiha, Aqraba, and the border village of Kafar Nasig east of the hill. At this point, according to the SOHR, rebels controlled about 70% of the Quneitra Governorate.
In a televised address to the nation, The President of the United States Barack Obama outlined a broad campaign against ISIL. For Syria, the strategy involves airstrikes against ISIL coupled with arming and training Syrian rebels.
The Syrian Army re-took control of the town of Halfaya in the Hama Province, after expelling al-Nusra fighters from the town.
David Haines was killed by ISIL. Also, the Free Syrian Army announced that they would not be joining the coalition to fight IS without a guarantee that the US is committed to the Syrian Arab Army overthrow.
Syrian Arab Army and Syrian Special Forces destroyed a bridge over the Euphrates river used by ISIL. A number of IS fighters were killed during the operation.
IS fighters seized around 21 villages in Northern Syria from Kurdish fighters. The villages were located near Ayn-Al-Arab (Kobani).
Bombing raids by an American-led International Coalition (Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates) targeted ISIS and Al Qaeda's Khorasan franchise, escalating the war to a new level. The airstrikes in Aleppo on the Khorasan group killed at least 50 militants, who were mostly not Syrian, and also a few women and children.
The al-Nusra Front claimed that its leader Abu Yousef al-Turki was killed the air strikes.
More than 20 Syrian rebel groups signed an agreement to unite in the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria and President Bashar al-Assad's forces.
The Syrian army retook control of the village of Adra, located near Damascus. In Deir-Ezzur, the Syrian republican guard killed over 80 ISIL fighters in the Al-Haweeqa area. IS was also withdrawing from the Tabqa airbase in Raqqa after being hit by several airstrikes from coalition jets as well as the Syrian air force.
ISIL resumed its siege of Kobani with a full-scale assault from the west, east and south of the city. US-led coalition air strikes targeting ISIL fighters besieging Kobani were reported on 27 September 2014. An ISIL building and two "armed vehicles" were destroyed at the Kobani border crossing, according to the Pentagon.
With more errant shells landing on Turkish territory, the Parliament in Ankara begins debating a possible invasion, while the Army begins massing ordinance on the border with Syria.
Following American airstrikes, Kurdish Peshmerga take a vital border crossing at Rabia. ISIS suffers damaged equipment and delayed advances due to American air superiority, buying the Kurds in northern part of Syria time to recover.
The Syrian army started an offensive on areas north of Aleppo. According to the Syrian state news agency, the Syrian army captured a few villages north of Aleppo, including the city of Handarat. It was later reported that rebel forces recaptured Handaraat.
The Kurdish city of Kobane in the Raqqa governate is on the brink of catastrophe as ISIS fighters besiege the city.
18,000 Palestinians are facing life-threatening shortages of water in the Yarmouk Camp neighborhood of Damascus.
ISIL fighters advanced in the Kurdish town of Kobani with heavy fighting inside the city. It is unclear if some parts of the city are captured, but ISIS fighters planted their flags on some buildings inside the city.
Kurds clash violently with Turkish police over failure to help Kurds under siege in the Syrian border city of Kobani under siege by ISIL forces. At least fourteen people have died in the clashes.
8 October 8
At least 19 Kurdish civilians were killed while protesting against the government's inaction in defending Kobani from ISIS advances.
Opposition fighters seize Al Harra hill, south of Damascus, after fighting with Assad forces, seizing large quantity of arms and ammunition.
ISIL push to capture the town of Kobani. The town has served as the headquarters of the Kurdish resistance. Reports say ISIS controls nearly 40% of the city. Kurdish leaders requested foreign intervention in an attempt to repel the assault on the town. 12,000 civilians are reported trapped in the city. The Syrian delegate to the UN requested foreign aid, particularly from Turkey, to evacuate the citizens, who will likely face massacre in the event of an ISIS takeover.
The Syrian army continues its offensive in Damascus and on 8 October captured the town of Al-Rayhan near Duma, and on 11 October Ayn Tarma, a decisive blow to the already exhausted Jaysh Al-Islam fighters.
Turkey agrees to allow the training of 2,000 Syrian opposition forces on its soil as Islamic State militants approach to within 1 mile of the centre of the border city of Kobani.
Despite the capture of their headquarters in Kobane, Kurdish fighters continue a fierce resistance. Coalition airstrikes continue to pound the area, but ISIS is unrelenting in their attempts to capture the city.
After heavy fighting inside the city of Kobane, Kurdish fighters with support of coalition airstrikes managed to push back IS fighters from most of the city. In the meantime, the Syrian Army continued its offensive north of Aleppo, capturing a glass factory, a cement plant, and the village of Al-Jubeileh near the Aleppo Central Prison. The Syrian Army now has all main supply lines to Aleppo under its control.
The Syrian Air Force claims to have shot down two of the three fighter jets operated by ISIL in northern Syria.
Nusra Front and other local rebels capture the southern city of Nawa from Syrian Arab Army forces after months of fighting.
ISIL claims to have executed American hostage Abdul-Rahman Kassig.
ISIL downs one of Syrian Arab Army fighter planes over the city of Deir Ezzor. According to SOHR, the Syrian Arab Army plane had carried out twenty airstrikes over the town the previous night, but it was the first time that ISIS had succeeded in bringing one down.
Almost 100 people were killed and many more critically injured in at least 10 Syrian government airstrikes in Raqqa, according to SOHR. Targets included the city's al-Hani Mosque and the public souk, or market.
Syrian Air Force raids on the city of Raqqa kill at least 36 people.
According to the New Straits Times (a government-controlled Malaysian newspaper), activists and opposition figures indicate the demise of the Revolution to topple Assad, calling the revolt a failure.
Heavy fighting in Kobani kills at least 40 fighters from both ISIL and Kurdish forces.
Phe pro-regime warplanes carry out aerial bombardments on the residential building in the cities of Jassem, Tafas, killing at least 20 civilians including women and children, and one civilian respectively.
Coalition forces launch over 30 airstrikes on Raqqa, the de facto capital of ISIL. No real positive outcomes according to reports by YPG fighters on the ground: "US air strikes are useless and we only have support from Kurdish fighters and Shia militias."
The United Nations World Food Program suspended a food program for 1.7 million Syrian refugees after donor countries fail to meet their commitments.
Three Turkish Army soldiers died by gunfire in the town of Ceylanpinar. The local Turkish governor begins an investigation of whether the gunfire came from the Syrian side of the border.
After months of violent clashes with Jaysh Al-Islam, the Syrian army declared the East District of Jobar under complete fire control. As a result of this progression, approximately 800 Jaysh Al-Islam militants are now trapped inside Jobar, with almost nowhere to retreat. Meanwhile, the Syrian army continues its offensive in Aleppo by capturing Al-Manasheer, the Al-Bureijj Stone Quarries, and the Wood Factory in the Industrial District near the Al-Jandoul Roundabout in northeast Aleppo.
Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says that Turkey may begin training and equipping moderate Syrian opposition fighters before March 2015.
In the five-part video series 'The War Next Door,' a VICE journalist goes behind the scenes with the IDF unit which gathers wounded Syrian rebel fighters in the dead of night and brings them to Israel for treatment.
Videos surfaced of a ceremony honoring the unification of the rebels, who come from groups like the Islamic Front, the Mujahedeen Army, Fastaqim Kama Umirt—a unit of the Free Syrian Army—and the Asala wa-al-Tanmiya Front. The rebels in the northern part of the country advanced in key battlegrounds near Aleppo over the weekend as several groups merged and renamed themselves the Levant Front. It marked the first time since 2012 that rebel groups have officially collaborated to take on President Assad's forces.
- Saad, Hwaida; Gladstone, Rick (4 August 2014). "Border Fighting Intensifies Between ISIS and Lebanon". The New York Times. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- "Syria militants leave Lebanese border town - US News". US News & World Report. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "ISIS kills dozens of Syrian rebels after seizing two towns near Aleppo - MidEast - Daily Sabah". dailysabah.com. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Middle East - ISIS militants seize towns in Syria's Aleppo province - France 24". France 24. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "The terrorists fighting us now? We just finished training them". The Washington Post. 18 August 2014. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "ISIS beheading U.S. journalist James Foley, posts video - CNN.com". CNN. 20 August 2016. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- "Syrian regime launchs chemical attack against Jobar in Damascus: opposition - ARA News". ARA News. 21 August 2014. Archived from the original on 13 May 2016. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- "Syria death toll 'more than 191,000' - BBC News". BBC News. 22 August 2014. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- "Isis Rebels In Syria Seize Tabqa Airbase". International Business Times UK. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Islamic State Captures Major Air Base in Syria From Government". WSJ. 24 August 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Rebels take Syria crossing with Israel-occupied Golan". 27 August 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian Air Force strikes Arsal border region". 27 August 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syria and Isis committing war crimes, says UN". The Guardian. 27 August 2014. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- "IDF fires artillery at Syrian army post after cross-border gun fire wounds Israeli officer". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "IDF fires at Syria army position after officer wounded by errant fire". Haaretz.com. 27 August 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Rebels in Syria Capture Border Crossing With Israel", Wall Street Journal
- "Fiji says 43 soldiers captured in Golan Heights". USA TODAY. 29 August 2014. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- "Rebels Storm Key Border Crossing Between Syria And Israel". NPR.org. 28 August 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "المرصد السورى لحقوق الإنسان - المرصد السورى لحقوق الإنسان". المرصد السورى لحقوق الإنسان. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- "IS executes "more than 160" Syria troops in new atrocity". Channel NewsAsia. Archived from the original on 30 August 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Сирийские самолеты атаковали базу исламистов у плотины на Ефрате (in Russian). Vesti.ru. 28 August 2014. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- Cumming-bruce, Nick (29 August 2014). "Syrian Refugees Surpass 3 Million, U.N. Says". The New York Times. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- "Syrian army, rebels fight on Golan where peacekeepers held". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syria: Army escalates efforts to recapture Jobar". YouTube. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Farsnews". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian army advances in Jobar as fighting rages on - Daily Mail Online". Mail Online. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syria army battles rebels as UN bids to free Golan monitors". www.eni.network24.co. Archived from the original on 4 September 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Raf Sanchez (2 September 2014). "Steven Sotloff 'beheaded by Islamic State'". The Daily Telegraph. London. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- "Hezbollah, Syrian troops kill Nusra Front commander". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian Army Ambushes Terrorist Convoy in Qalamoun, Strikes ISIL in Deir Ezour". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Deir ez-Zor Erupts in Violence; Firefights Ongoing at the Deir ez-Zor Military Airport". Al-Masdar. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "Syrian army kills 18 foreign ISIL fighters, including one American jihadist". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Islamic State says executes second Lebanese soldier". Reuters. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian warplanes hit Islamic State-run bakery, training camp: monitor". Reuters. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Al Qunaytera Province: 9-9-2014". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "المرصد السورى لحقوق الإنسان - المرصد السورى لحقوق الإنسان". المرصد السورى لحقوق الإنسان. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- "Daraa province: 10-9-2014". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "About 70 % of the villages and towns in Quneitra under rebel control". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- CNN, By Tom Cohen. "Obama ISIS strategy: Airstrikes will include Syria - CNNPolitics.com". CNN. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- "Syrian forces win battle with rebels in Hama". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Rowena Mason. "Cameron hails David Haines as 'British hero' and vows to hunt down killers". the Guardian. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Free Syrian Army will not join US-led coalition against IS". Middle East Eye. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian army destroys Islamic State-controlled bridge". TODAYonline. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "BBC News - Syrian army says it is taking on Islamic State extremists". BBC News. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Islamic State militants seize Kurdish villages in northern Syria". the Guardian. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "ISIS seizes 16 Kurdish villages in north Syria: Kurds". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Islamic State Seizes Syrian And Kurdish Villages In Major Assault". The Huffington Post. 18 September 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "US Syria raids also aimed at thwarting attack plot: Pentagon". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "BBC News - Al-Qaeda Khorasan cell in Syria attack 'was imminent'". BBC News. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "BBC News - IS strikes: Not America's fight alone - Obama". BBC News. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "US Bombs Islamic State's Raqqa Stronghold In Syria, Begins 'Degrade And Destroy' Strategy". International Business Times. 23 September 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Islamic State seizes over 100 Kurdish villages in Syria". GlobalPost. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "'The Turk' is dead: Al Qaeda-linked terror group says leader died in Syria airstrikes". CNN. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- "Israel says it shot down Syrian jet over Golan Heights - CNN.com". CNN. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- "US strikes Isil's lucrative oil facilities in Syria". Telegraph.co.uk. 25 September 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Tony Capaccio, David Lerman and Selcan Hacaoglu (25 September 2014). "Islamic State Oil Refineries in Syria Hit in Airstrikes". Bloomberg. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Luke Harding. "US aims to wipe out Isis funding with air strikes on oil wells in Syria". the Guardian. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian rebel groups unite to fight ISIS". CNN. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- Leith Fadel. "ISIS Begins to Withdraw from the Tabqa Airbase: Scores of ISIS Militants Killed in Deir Ezzor". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian army extends grip in town northeast of Damascus". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "BBC News - US-led air strikes hit IS on Syria's border with Turkey". BBC News. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Turkish tanks take up position on Syrian border next to besieged Kurdish town - MIDEAST". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Kurds seize Iraq/Syria border post; Sunni tribe joins fight against Islamic State". news.yahoo.com. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "Syrian Rebels Kill 45 Civilians at a Homs Children's School". 1 October 2014. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- "Report: Syrian forces take villages in north Aleppo - CNN.com". CNN. 3 October 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "ISIS set to capture Kobani, finish major land grab". CNN. 6 October 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Syria rebels retake strategic hill near capital. Retrieved 2014-10-12.
- "Jihadists seize Kurdish HQ in Syria's Kobane, massacre feared". Yahoo News. 10 October 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Leith Fadel. "Syrian Army Liberates Vital City in the East Ghouta". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Leith Fadel. "Syrian Republican Guard Liberates Al-Rayhan; Liberation of Jobar is Coming". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Kurds thwart IS in Syria town but Iraq on back foot". Yahoo News. 12 October 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Ten Syrian soldiers killed in clashes with Islamic State". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "BBC News - Islamic State 'being driven out of Syria's Kobane'". BBC News. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Leith Fadel. "Battle Map: SAA Captures Many Areas in Aleppo". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian army recaptures town in western Syria - state TV", Reuters, 24 October 2014.
- "UN PEACEKEEPERS OBSERVE IDF INTERACTING WITH AL NUSRA IN GOLAN", Denis Fitzgerald. U.N. Tribune. 4 Dec 2014. Accessed 5 May 2017
- "UN details Israel helping Syrian rebels at Golan Heights", Russia Today. 8 Dec 2014. Accessed 5 May 2017
- "Kurdish peshmerga forces arrive in Kobani to bolster fight against Isis". 2 November 2014. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "Islamic State says seizes second gas field in Syria". 3 November 2014. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "Eleven children killed when mortars hit Damascus school: monitoring group". 5 November 2014. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 11 November 2014. Retrieved 11 November 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Syria rebels, Nusra capture key southern town: monitor". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- "Abdul-Rahman Kassig: US hostage 'killed by IS'". 16 November 2014. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Report: ISIS Downs Syrian Arab Army Plane in Deir Ezzor, Syria.
- Eliott C. McLaughlin, CNN (30 November 2014). "Raqqa, Syria, is new target for coalition airstrikes - CNN.com". CNN. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- "Syria activists mourn 'death' of revolution". NST Online. Archived from the original on 5 December 2014. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- "Islamic State group attacks Kobani from Turkey". Yahoo News. 28 November 2014. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- Syrian rebels advance towards Damascus. Retrieve 2015-12-27.
- "UN food program suspended for 1.7 million Syrian refugees". 1 December 2014. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Southern rebels sign joint defence pact". Independent.ie. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- "Syria's southern rebels take step toward unity". Reuters. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- "Syrian government forces repel ISIS attack on air base". 6 December 2014. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Israeli jets 'strike near Damascus'". 7 December 2014. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "U.N. Seeks $16.4 Billion to Address 2015 Crises". 8 December 2014. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "National news from McClatchy DC News - Washington DC". Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- "Three Turkish soldiers 'killed by gunfire' on Syrian border". 9 December 2014. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "State Dept: Rebels Are Never Going to Defeat Assad Militarily". Foreign Policy. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- Leith Fadel. "Updated Battle Map of Aleppo; Nusra Repelled at Al-Zahra and Nubl". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- Leith Fadel. "Breaking News: Jobar's East District Under Syrian Army Fire Control". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- "34 Islamist rebels die in combat with Syrian army in Aleppo". 14 December 2014. Archived from the original on 4 May 2015. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Around 180 Syrian soldiers, jihadists reported killed in battle for base". 16 December 2014. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- Turkey to 'start training' Syria's moderate rebels by March. Retrieved 2014-12-19.
- Watch: VICE news accompanies IDF unit giving medical aid to Syrian rebels. Retrieved 2014-12-19.
- "IS captures Jordanian pilot after warplane crashes in Syria". Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- Syrian Rebels Merge Into 'Levant Front,' Gain Ground In North. Retrieved 2014-12-27.
- "Italian Coast Guard Steers Migrant Ship Away From Collision Course". 31 December 2014. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Disaster avoided as runaway ship stopped off Italy with 900 aboard". 31 December 2014. Retrieved 3 January 2015.