Tim Barrett (admiral)
Vice Admiral Timothy William Barrett, (born 8 January 1959) is a retired senior officer in the Royal Australian Navy. Barrett served as Commander Australian Fleet from 2011 to 2014, before being appointed Chief of Navy in June 2014. He retired in July 2018 after four years as navy chief and 42 years in the navy.
Timothy William Barrett
Tim Barrett in September 2016
|Born||8 January 1959|
Helston, United Kingdom
|Service/||Royal Australian Navy|
|Years of service||1976–2018|
|Commands held||Chief of Navy|
Commander Australian Fleet
Border Protection Command
Defence Force Recruiting
Navy Aviation Group
817 Squadron RAN
|Awards||Officer of the Order of Australia|
Conspicuous Service Cross
Meritorious Service Medal (Singapore)
Officer of Legion of Honour (France)
On 4 April 2014, Barrett's promotion to vice admiral and selection to succeed Ray Griggs as Chief of Navy (CN) was announced, to take place mid-year. He was subsequently advanced in rank during a ceremony presided by General David Hurley on 24 June, and assumed command as CN six days later. Barrett retired from the navy in July 2018, and was succeeded as CN by Vice Admiral Michael Noonan.
Honours and awards
|Officer of the Order of Australia (AO)||(9 June 2014)|
|Member of the Order of Australia (AM)||(26 January 2009)|
|Conspicuous Service Cross (CSC)||(26 January 2006)|
|Australian Active Service Medal|
|Australian Service Medal|
|Defence Force Service Medal with Federation Star||for 40–44 years service|
|Australian Defence Medal|
|Meritorious Service Medal (Singapore)||(28 June 2016)|
|Officer of Legion of Honour (France)||(22 February 2017)|
- Styles, Aja (24 May 2011). "Navy border chief defends Christmas Island response". WA Today. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Rear Adm. (Tim) Timothy William Barrett". Who's Who in Australia Online. Crown Content. Archived from the original on 5 April 2014. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Navy News (18 February 2010). "Rear Admiral Barrett goes from Albatross to the border". South Coast Register. Nowra, New South Wales: Fairfax Media. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- AAP (4 July 2014). "Air Marshal Mark Binskin has been announced as the new head of the Australian defence force". SBS News. Special Broadcasting Service. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- Raymond Griggs [@https://twitter.com/CN_Australia] (24 June 2014). "@DavidHurley_CDF last night promoted VADM Tim Barrett who will next week succeed me as @CN_Australia – congrats Tim" (Tweet). Retrieved 25 June 2014 – via Twitter.
- Officer of the Order of Australia – 9 June 2014 Citation: For distinguished service as Commander Border Protection Command and Commander Australian Fleet Command.
- "Barrett, Timothy William – Member of the Order of Australia". It's an Honour. Australian Government. 26 January 2009. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Barrett, Timothy William – Conspicuous Service Cross". It's an Honour. Australian Government. 26 January 2006. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Australian Navy Chief Receives Prestigious Military Award". Singapore Government. Singapore Government Media Releases. 28 June 2016. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- "L'ambassadeur Stephen Brady a participé mercredi 22 février à la cérémonie de remise de la Légion d'honneur au vice-amiral Tim Barrett". Facebook (in French). L'Australie en France. 23 February 2017. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tim Barrett (admiral).|
Vice Admiral Ray Griggs
| Chief of Navy
Vice Admiral Michael Noonan
Rear Admiral Steve Gilmore
| Commander Australian Fleet
Rear Admiral Stuart Mayer
Rear Admiral Allan du Toit
| Border Protection Command
Rear Admiral David Johnston