Tidal Workload Automation
Tidal Enterprise Scheduler (TES) is a job scheduler originally created by Tidal Software, Inc. It is now owned by the Dillon Kane Group, who purchased it from Cisco Systems and renamed it to Tidal Workload Automation (TWA). More recently this category of software is increasingly labeled as "workload automation", which is an industry term for the next generation of job scheduling applications. It is comparable to BMC Control-M or CA Workload Automation AE.
The core functionality of TWA is the ability to schedule batch jobs. It is designed to carry out repetitive tasks as defined in a schedule based upon calendar and event conditions. A calendar can be simple or intricate depending upon design.
Tidal works as a distributed system that can be controlled from a centralized location (master server) which agents connect to. This allows batch jobs to be run, unattended in the background across a list of servers.
Tidal Workload Automation is one of the oldest enterprise batch schedulers still in active production. It dates back to 1979 when it was originally created by Tidal Software in Palo Alto, California.
Batch jobs are scheduled and run across different operating system platforms and business application environments.
Agents are supported on the following platforms:
Beyond simply running jobs, in the background, on a schedule, a more elaborate set of functionality is provided:
Notable issues may include GUI performance and lag during user interaction. Performance of the interface may degrade when displaying large lists of jobs or agents. No studies or benchmarks showing performance data have been published. Performance concerns may be highly dependent on underlying hardware and architecture implementations.
Tidal is geared towards supporting new technologies including cloud, mobile, and big data. It is designed for scalability and automation. It has been built to work as a component with Cisco's other technologies.
- "About - Tidal Workload Automation". www.tidalautomation.com. Retrieved November 15, 2018.
- "Tidal Enterprise Scheduler Datasheet" (PDF). Tidal Software. October 2007. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Dillon Kane Group has completed acquisition of Cisco Workload Automation". Cisco. November 16, 2017. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- Gilbert, Mike (December 2006). "Job Scheduling on Windows" (PDF). Legacy Directions. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Tidal Software". Crunchbase. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Tidal Software, Inc.: Private Company Information". Bloomberg. May 19, 2009. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Cisco has Acquired Tidal Software, Inc". Cisco. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Dillon Kane Group has completed acquisition of Cisco Workload Automation". November 16, 2017. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- "Cisco Workload Automation At-A-Glance" (PDF). Cisco. 2016. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "What is Tidal?". Tidal Enterprise Scheduler. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Tag Info: About Tidal Scheduler". Stack Overflow. Retrieved February 21, 2018.