Three Men and a Cradle
Three Men and a Cradle (French: Trois hommes et un couffin) is a 1985 French comedy film by Coline Serreau. The film was remade in Hollywood as Three Men and a Baby in 1987 which was subsequently remade into six Indian movies in five different languages.
|Trois hommes et un couffin|
|Directed by||Coline Serreau|
|Produced by||Jean-Francois Lepetit|
|Written by||Coline Serreau|
|Music by||Franz Schubert|
|Edited by||Catherine Renault|
|Distributed by||Acteurs Auteurs Associés|
Three young men (Jacques, Pierre and Michel) share an apartment in Paris, and have many girlfriends and parties (During the movie, we even learn that they have signed a contract never to allow a girl to spend more than one night at their place). Once, during a party, a friend of Jacques' tells him he has a quite compromising package (which turned out to be heroin) to deliver, and asks him if he can leave it discreetly at their place. Jacques agrees and, as he works as a steward, flies away for a one-month trip in Japan, telling Pierre and Michel about the package. Then, one of Jacques' former girlfriends drops a baby before their door, making Pierre and Michel believing it is the package they are waiting for. Their lives are then completely changed. This movie follows the bachelors as they deal with angry gangsters, suspicious cops, and the overwhelming responsibility of fatherhood.
A second film by Coline Serreau, with the same characters, the same actors and called 18 ans après (18 Years After) was released in 2003.
Awards and nominations
- Academy Awards (USA)
- César Awards (France)
- Won: Best Actor – Supporting Role (Michel Boujenah)
- Won: Best Film
- Won: Best Writing (Coline Serreau)
- Nominated: Best Actress – Supporting Role (Dominique Lavanant)
- Nominated: Best Director (Coline Serreau)
- Nominated: Most Promising Actress (Philippine Leroy-Beaulieu)
- Golden Globe Awards (USA)
- Nominated: Best Foreign Language Film
- National Academy of Cinema (France)
- Won: Academy Award (Coline Serreau)
Trois hommes et un couffin was remade in English as Three Men and a Baby in 1987 which was subsequently adapted as 'Baalache Baap Brahmachaari (1989) in Marathi , Thoovalsparsham (1990) in Malayalam which was then remade in Telugu as Chinnari Muddula Papa, in Tamil as Thayamma (1991) , into Asathal (2001) in Tamil and as Heyy Babyy (2007) in Hindi.
- Three Men and a Baby, 1987 American remake
- Baalache Baap Brahmachaari , 1989 ndian remake in Marathi Language
- Thoovalsparsham, 1990 Indian remake in Malayalam Language
- Thayamma (1991) , 1991 Indian remake in Tamil Language
- Chinnari Muddula Papa, 1990 Indian remake in Telugu Language
- Asathal, 2001 Indian remake in Tamil Language
- Heyy Babyy, 2007 Indian remake in Hindi Language.
- List of submissions to the 58th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of French submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "The 58th Academy Awards (1986) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- Trois hommes et un couffin
- Trois hommes et un couffin on IMDb
- Three Men and a Cradle at AllMovie
- Three Men and a Cradle at Rotten Tomatoes
- Three Men and a Cradle at Box Office Mojo
- 18 ans après
- 18 ans après on IMDb
- 18 ans après at AllMovie