Thornton railway station, New South Wales
Westbound view in August 2006
|Location||Karuah Street, Thornton|
|Operated by||NSW TrainLink|
|Distance||182.19 kilometres from Central|
|Website||Transport for NSW|
|Opened||10 February 1913|
|Passengers (2013)||250 (daily) (Sydney Trains, NSW TrainLink)|
The original station opened on 1 August 1871 as Woodford and was renamed in 1887 to avoid confusion with Woodford station in the Blue Mountains. The line from Tarro was duplicated in 1880 and quadrupled in February 1913 when the current station opened.
To the south-west of the station, the Bloomfield Colliery branches off.
Platforms & services
|1||services to Newcastle|
|2||services to Maitland, Telarah, Dungog, Muswellbrook & Scone|
Hunter Valley Buses operate two routes to and from Thornton station:
- Bureau of Transport Statistics. "Train Statistics 2014" (PDF). Transport NSW. Retrieved 15 July 2018.
- Thornton Railway Station NSW Environment & Heritage
- "The Great Northern Railway, Newcastle to Maitland 150 years on" Australian Railway History March 2007
- Thornton Station NSWrail.net
- "Hunter line timetable". Transport for NSW.
- "Hunter Valley Buses route 182". Transport for NSW.
- "Hunter Valley Buses route 189". Transport for NSW.