Thomas Ros, 8th Baron Ros
Thomas Ros or Roos, 8th Baron Ros of Helmsley (26 September 1406 – 18 August 1430) was an English peer.
|Thomas Ros, 8th Baron Ros|
|Born||26 September 1406|
|Died||18 August 1430 (aged 23)|
Thomas Ros, 9th Baron Ros
Margaret Ros, Baroness Botreaux
|Father||William Ros, 6th Baron Ros|
Thomas Ros, born 26 September 1406, was the second son of William Ros, 6th Baron Ros, and Margaret Fitzalan (d. 3 July 1438), the daughter of John FitzAlan, 1st Baron Arundel, by Eleanor Maltravers (c.1345 – 12 January 1405), younger daughter and coheir of Sir John Maltravers (d. 22 January 1349).
Thomas Ros was a younger brother of John Ros, 7th Baron Ros, who died childless at the Battle of Baugé on 22 March 1421. Thomas inherited his rank and privileges, and followed the example of his brother in participating in the Hundred Years' War. He fought in the Battle of Verneuil under the command of John, Duke of Bedford. He was honored for his efforts, knighted by Henry VI of England on 19 May 1426. Henry was nephew of the Duke. Thomas resumed service under the Duke in 1427. He was summoned to the Parliament of England in 1429. In 1430 he fell into the Seine during a minor skirmish and was drowned.
Marriage and issue
- Thomas Ros, 9th Baron Ros (9 September 1427 – 17 May 1464).
- Richard Ros, esquire, who married, before 1468, Jane or Joan Knyvet, daughter of Sir John Knyvet.
- Margaret Ros, who married firstly William de Botreaux, 3rd Baron Botreaux, and secondly Thomas Burgh, 1st Baron Burgh of Gainsborough.
After the death of Thomas Ros, his widow, Eleanor, married secondly, Edmund Beaufort, 1st Duke of Somerset, and thirdly, Walter Rokesley, esquire.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1949). The Complete Peerage, edited by Geoffrey H. White. XI. London: St. Catherine Press.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, ed. Kimball G. Everingham. I (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 1449966373
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, ed. Kimball G. Everingham. III (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 144996639X
|Ancestors of Thomas Ros, 8th Baron Ros|
|Peerage of England|
| Baron Ros