Thomas Fitzalan, 10th Earl of Arundel
Thomas Fitzalan otherwise Arundel, 10th Earl of Arundel, 7th Baron Maltravers KG (1450 – 25 October 1524) was the son of William Fitzalan, 9th Earl of Arundel, and Joan Neville, eldest daughter of Richard Neville, 5th Earl of Salisbury, and Alice Montagu, suo jure Countess of Salisbury.
|Earl of Arundel|
Arms of Sir Thomas Fitzalan,
10th Earl of Arundel, KG: FitzAlan quartering Maltravers, with a label of three points argent for the difference of an eldest son.
|Died||25 October 1524
Singleton, West Sussex
William Fitzalan, 11th Earl of Arundel
|Father||William Fitzalan, 9th Earl of Arundel|
He was created a Knight of the Bath on 27 June 1461 at the coronation of Edward IV, and was elected to the Order of the Garter on 26 February 1474. As Lord Mautravers, he was one of the peers present at the coronation of Richard III on 6 July 1483, and in 1471 sat in Parliament as Lord Mautravers. In September 1486 he was godfather to Henry VII's elder son, Arthur, Prince of Wales, and on 25 November 1487 bore the Rod and Dove at the coronation of Elizabeth of York. He succeeded his father as Earl of Arundel in 1488. He was twice elected Lieutenant of the Order of the Garter, on 19 July 1489, and again in 1517. In 1489 he was appointed Warden of the New Forest. He was present, with all the other Garter Knights, at the meeting in 1520 between Henry VIII and Francis I of France now known as the Field of the Cloth of Gold.
He died 25 October 1524 at Downly Park in Singleton, Sussex, aged 74, and was buried with his wife at the collegiate church at Arundel. His will, dated 12 October 1524, was proved 29 November of that year.
Marriage and issue
He married, shortly before 17 February 1466, Margaret Woodville (died before 4 August 1492), seventh daughter of Richard Woodville, 1st Earl Rivers, and a younger sister of Elizabeth Woodville, wife of Edward IV. Thomas and Margaret had two sons and two daughters:
- William Fitzalan, 11th Earl of Arundel.
- Edward Fitzalan.
- Margaret Fitzalan, who married John de la Pole, 1st Earl of Lincoln.
- Joan Fitzalan (died 14 November 1508), who married, as his first wife, George Neville, 5th Baron Bergavenny. According to Hawkyard, the marriage was childless; however according to Richardson, there were two daughters of the marriage, Elizabeth Neville, who married Henry Daubeney, 1st Earl of Bridgewater, and Jane Neville, who married Henry Pole, 1st Baron Montagu.
- Cokayne 1910, p. 249.
- Cokayne 1910, pp. 249–50.
- Richardson I 2011, p. 37.
- Cokayne 1910, p. 250.
- Cokayne 1910, pp. 33, 250.
- Richardson I 2011, pp. 37–8.
- Horrox 2004.
- Richardson I 2011, p. 170.
- Cokayne 1910, p. 33.
- Cokayne 1916, p. 105.
- Hawkyard 2004.
- Richardson I 2011, pp. 37–8, 170.
- Richardson III 2011, p. 377.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1910). The Complete Peerage, edited by H.A. Doubleday. I. London: St. Catherine Press.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1916). The Complete Peerage, edited by the Honourable Vicary Gibbs. IV. London: St. Catherine Press.
- Hawkyard, Alasdair (2004). "Neville, George, third Baron Bergavenny (c.1469–1535)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/19935.(Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Horrox, Rosemary (2004). "Pole, John de la, earl of Lincoln (c.1460–1487)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/22449.(Subscription or UK public library membership required.) The first edition of this text is available at Wikisource: . Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G. (ed.). Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families. I (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 1449966373.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G. (ed.). Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families. III (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 144996639X.
- Will of Thomas Arundel, Earl of Arundel, proved 29 November 1524, PROB 11/21/478, National Archives Retrieved 27 September 2013
|Peerage of England|
| Earl of Arundel
| Baron Maltravers|
(writ of acceleration)