Thisted municipality is a municipality (Danish: kommune) in North Jutland Region, Denmark. The municipality covers an area of 1,072 km², and has a total population of 45,549 (2008). Its mayor is Erik Hove Olesen, a member of the Social Democrats (Socialdemokraterne). The main town and the site of its municipal council is the town of Thisted.
Thisted municipality is roughly identical with the traditional district of Thy, except that the municipality includes a small portion of the district Hanherred, but not the southernmost peninsula of Thy, Thyholm.
Notable people of the municipality
- Peter von Scholten (1784 in Vestervig – 1854) Governor-General of the Danish West Indies 1827-1848.
- Henriette Nielsen (1815-1900) a Danish author and playwright
- Andrew Petersen (1870–1953) was a patternmaker and foundry company executive in New York City
- Aage Oxenvad (1884 in Gettrup near Thisted – 1944) a Danish clarinetist who played in the Royal Danish Orchestra from 1909
- Bent Larsen (1935 in Tilsted near Thisted – 2010) a Danish chess grandmaster and author
- Per Pedersen (born 1964 in Vestervig) a retired road bicycle racer
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thisted Kommune.|
- Municipality's official website (In Danish)