The White Trap
The White Trap is a 1959 British second feature thriller film directed by Sidney Hayers and starring Lee Patterson. The screenplay is by playwright Peter Barnes, who went on to write the cult stage and film comedy The Ruling Class (1972); and the Oscar nominated screenplay for Enchanted April (1991).
|The White Trap|
British theatrical poster
|Directed by||Sidney Hayers|
|Produced by||Julian Wintle|
|Screenplay by||Peter Barnes|
|Music by||Franz Reizenstein|
|Edited by||Tristam Cones|
|Distributed by||Anglo-Amalgamated Film Distributors (UK)|
Escaped convict Paul Langley tries to reach his wife who is about to have a baby.
- Lee Patterson as Paul Langley
- Conrad Phillips as Sgt. Morrison
- Michael Goodliffe as Inspector Walters
- Yvette Wyatt as Ann Fisher
- Felicity Young as Joan Langley
- Trevor Maskell as Dr. Lucas
- Harold Siddons as Maitland
- Charles Leno as Padre
- Ian Colin as Governor
- Helen Towers as Hilda Maxwell
- Jack Allen as Dr. Hayden
- Gillian Vaughan as Wendy
TV Guide wrote "The suspense builds up towards the end, but the plot is unrelentingly downbeat" whereas Classic Movie Ramblings called it "a very well-crafted thriller...really an excellent little movie"; and Noirish noted "one of those unexpected gems that occasionally bring joy to the B-feature watcher’s heart."
Home media release
The film is available as a Special Feature on Edgar Wallace Mysteries volume 2, released by Network DVD in 2012.
- THE WHITE TRAP (Anglo-Amalgamated) Picture Show; London (Oct 10, 1959): 13.
- WHITE TRAP, The Monthly Film Bulletin; London Vol. 26, Iss. 300, (Jan 1, 1959): 140.
- Elley, Derek; Elley, Derek (November 2, 2001). "The Ruling Class".
- "The 65th Academy Awards | 1993". Oscars.org | Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
- "The White Trap | TV Guide". TVGuide.com.
- "Classic Movie Ramblings: The White Trap (1959)". March 4, 2017.
- "White Trap, The (1959)". April 22, 2014.
- "The Edgar Wallace Mysteries - Volume 2". www.dvdbeaver.com.