The Whistle (film)
The Whistle is a 1921 American silent drama film directed by Lambert Hillyer and written by May Wilmoth, Olin Lyman and Lambert Hillyer. The film stars William S. Hart, Frank Brownlee, Myrtle Stedman, Georgie Stone, Will Jim Hatton, and Richard Headrick. The film was released in April 1921, by Paramount Pictures. A print of the film is in the Library of Congress.
|Directed by||Lambert Hillyer|
|Produced by||William S. Hart|
|Screenplay by||May Wilmoth|
|Starring||William S. Hart|
Will Jim Hatton
|Cinematography||Joseph H. August|
William S. Hart Productions
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
Robert Evans (William S. Hart) loses his son, Danny (Will Jim Hatton), due to dangerous working conditions. His employer, Henry Chapple (Frank Brownlee), refuses to fix the problem. Evans takes revenge by kidnapping Chapple's son, Georgie (Georgie Stone), and raising him as he did his own. It's a life of labor, the opposite of the life which the Chapples would have given Georgie. Years later, Chapple meets Evans again while he is injured. He provides the best medical care he can for him, regardless of the cost. As Georgie spends more time with the Chapples, Mrs. Chapple (Myrtle Stedman) grows very fond of him. The Chapples ask if they can adopt him. Evans is divided between his revenge against Mr. Chapple and the love which Mrs. Chapple has for her son. At the end, Evans realizes that by taking fate into his own hands, he has made himself more unhappy than anyone.
- William S. Hart as Robert Evans
- Frank Brownlee as Henry Chapple
- Myrtle Stedman as Mrs. Chapple
- Georgie Stone as Georgie
- Will Jim Hatton as Danny Evans
- Richard Headrick as Baby Chapple
- Prints held at the Library of Congress, BFI National Film and Television Archive, Academy Film Archive(Beverly Hills), George Eastman House Motion Picture Collection.
- "The-Whistle - Trailer - Cast - Showtimes - NYTimes.com". nytimes.com. Retrieved 25 January 2015.
- "The Whistle". afi.com. Retrieved 25 January 2015.
- Progressive Silent Film List: The Whistle at silentera.com
- The Library of Congress/FIAF American Silent Feature Film Survival Catalog:..The Whistle
- Catalog of Holdings The American Film Institute Collection and The United Artists Collection at The Library of Congress, (<-book title) p.108 c.1978 by the American Film Institute
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Whistle.|
- The Whistle on IMDb
- synopsis at AllMovie