The Trip to Italy
The Trip to Italy is a 2014 British comedy film written and directed by Michael Winterbottom. It is the sequel of Winterbottom's TV series The Trip, and similarly stars Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon as fictionalized versions of themselves. The film had its world premiere at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival on 20 January 2014. Following the premiere, a second TV series, also titled The Trip to Italy, broadcast on BBC Two.
|The Trip to Italy|
|Directed by||Michael Winterbottom|
|Produced by||Melissa Parmenter|
|Written by||Michael Winterbottom|
|Edited by||Mags Arnold|
|Distributed by||IFC Films|
|Box office||$6 million|
Rob has been commissioned by a newspaper to go on a road trip through Italy from Piedmont to Capri, partly following in the footsteps of the great Romantic poets. Steve joins him, and as they journey through the beautiful Italian countryside, they talk about life, love and their careers.
Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 86% of 104 film critics have given the film a positive review, with a rating average of 8.2/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "While perhaps not quite as fresh as Coogan and Brydon's original voyage in The Trip, The Trip to Italy still proves a thoroughly agreeable sequel."
Scott Foundas of Variety, said in his review that "Coogan, Brydon and Winterbottom journey to the Mediterranean in this warmly enjoyable continuation of their improvised cultural and culinary adventures." William Goss of Film.com gave the film a generally positive review, saying that it is "plenty enjoyable for fans of the first one and these two", while noting that "by the end, it also has the consistency of reheated comfort food." Amber Wilkinson of The Daily Telegraph gave the film a B, saying that "Their improvisation has been honed to the point where the jokes land solidly without losing naturalism and the pair of them are clearly enjoying la dolce vita".
- Fleming Jr., Mike (June 24, 2013). "IFC Films Lands U.S. Rights To Michael Winterbottom-Helmed 'The Trip To Italy'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Smith, Nigel M. (June 24, 2013). "IFC Films Re-Teams With Michael Winterbottom For a Sequel to 'The Trip' Starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon". IndieWire. indiewire.com. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "The Trip to Italy (2014)". The Numbers. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- "Sundance 2014: Premieres". IndieWire. indiewire.com. January 10, 2014. Retrieved January 28, 2018.
- "Sundance: No One From The Dark Knight Rises Is Safe From Coogan and Brydon in The Trip to Italy". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Aroesti, Rachel (April 25, 2014). "Have you been watching … The Trip to Italy?". The Guardian. theguardian.com. Retrieved January 28, 2018.
- "The Trip To Italy (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- Foundas, Scott (January 21, 2014). "Sundance Film Review: 'The Trip to Italy'". Variety. variety.com. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- Goss, William (January 24, 2014). "Sundance Review: 'The Trip to Italy'". Film.com. Archived from the original on December 16, 2014. Retrieved January 28, 2018.
- Wilkinson, Amber (January 22, 2014). "Sundance 2014: The Trip to Italy, review". Telegraph. telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved April 14, 2014.