The Tommy Steele Story
The Tommy Steele Story is a 1957 British film directed by Gerard Bryant and starring Tommy Steele, dramatising Steele's own rise to fame.
|The Tommy Steele Story|
UK poster by Tom Chantrell
|Directed by||Gerard Bryant|
|Produced by||Herbert Smith|
|Written by||Norman Hudis|
|Edited by||Ann Chegwidden|
|Distributed by||Anglo-Amalgamated (UK)|
Along with Rock You Sinners, it was one of the first British films to feature rock and roll.
Tommy Steele lives with his mother and father in their London home. He works with a bellboy until he injures his spine doing judo. In hospital he is given a guitar to help with his therapy and he starts to play to entertain patients and staff. He works on an ocean liner, performing in his spare time, and gets a job playing in a coffee bar. He is popular with audiences and gets a recording contract.
Steele was approached to make the film by Nat Cohen and Stuart Levy. He later wrote in his memoirs, "They were quite different from that other British film mogul, J. Arthur Rank. Where Rank was C. Aubrey Smith, Cohen and Levy were Abbott and Costello. They didn't so much as hold a meeting as do an act." He added "there was a degree of madness about them - but you had to be mad to take the chances they took - with a little eccentricity for good measure."
The soundtrack was released in May 1957. The following songs appear:
- A1 Take Me Back, Baby
- A2 Butterfingers
- A3 I Like
- A4 A Handful Of Songs
- A5 You Gotta Go
- A6 Water, Water
- A7 Cannibal Pot
- B1 Will It Be You
- B2 Two Eyes
- B3 Build Up
- B4 Time To Kill
- B5 Elevator Rock
- B6 Doomsday Rock
- B7 Teenage Party
- Andrew Caine Interpreting Rock Movies: The Pop Film and Its Critics in Britain, Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2004p.117
- ""THE TOMMY STEELE STORY"". The Australian Women's Weekly. National Library of Australia. 27 November 1957. p. 42. Retrieved 6 May 2012.
- Gary A. Smith, American International Pictures: The Golden Years, Bear Manor Media 2014 p 59
- The Story of Tommy Steele The Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file) [Boston, Mass] 10 Oct 1957: 7
- "BFI Screenonline: Tommy Steele Story, The (1957)". www.screenonline.org.uk.
- Steele p 270
- Steele p 271
- Steele p 271
- David Shipman The Great Movie Stars: The International Years, London: Angus & Robertson, 1972 p.494
- Steele p 271
- LINDSAY ANDERSON, and DAVID DENT. "Time For New Ideas." Times [London, England] 8 January 1958: 9. The Times Digital Archive. Web. 11 July 2012.
- Most Popular Film of the Year. The Times (London, England), Thursday, 12 December 1957; pg. 3; Issue 54022
- The Tommy Steele (in Moscow) Story Gale, John. The Observer [London (UK)] 9 August 1959: 1.
- "DISC DIGEST". The Australian Women's Weekly. National Library of Australia. 19 February 1958. p. 34. Retrieved 6 May 2012.
- Steele, Tommy (2007). Bermondsey boy : memories of a forgotten world. Michael Joseph.