The Thirteenth Chair (1929 film)
The Thirteenth Chair is a 1929 American pre-Code mystery film directed by Tod Browning. The picture is based on a 1916 play of the same name by Bayard Veiller. It stars Conrad Nagel, Leila Hyams and Margaret Wycherly. The supporting cast features Bela Lugosi, whom Browning would direct as Dracula two years later. The film was one of many released in both a sound film and a silent film version. TCM aired the sound version on August 22, 2019.
|The Thirteenth Chair|
|Directed by||Tod Browning|
|Produced by||Tod Browning|
|Written by||Elliott J. Clawson|
|Based on||The Thirteenth Chair|
by Bayard Veiller
|Cinematography||Merritt B. Gerstad|
|Edited by||Harry Reynolds|
An earlier version of the film, starring Creighton Hale, was made in 1919 by ACME/ Pathe Exchange, directed by Leonce Perret. In 1937, the film was again remade by MGM, entitled The Thirteenth Chair, starring Elissa Landi and Dame May Whitty.
Inspector Delzante (Bela Lugosi), investigates a pair of murders near a British mansion in Calcutta. Helen O'Neill (Leila Hyams) becomes a chief suspect based on circumstantial evidence. A fake Irish medium, Madame LaGrange (Margaret Wycherly) was called in to try to help solve the first murder.
- Conrad Nagel as Richard Crosby
- Leila Hyams as Helen "Nellie" O'Neill
- Margaret Wycherly as "Madame" Rosalie La Grange
- Helene Millard as Mary Eastwood
- Holmes Herbert as Sir Roscoe Crosby
- Mary Forbes as Lady Alice Crosby
- Bela Lugosi as Inspector Delzante
- John Davidson as Edward "Ned" Wales
- Charles Quatermaine as Dr. Philip Mason (as Charles Quartermaine)
- Moon Carroll as Helen Trent
- Cyril Chadwick as Brandon Trent
- Frank Leigh as Professor Feringeea
- Clarence Geldart as Commissioner Grimshaw (as Clarence Geldert)
Margaret Wycherly, who was at one time married to the writer of The Thirteenth Chair play (Bayard Veiller), also appeared in the original 1916 play.
- Workman, Christopher; Howarth, Troy (2016). "Tome of Terror: Horror Films of the Silent Era". Midnight Marquee Press. p. 210.ISBN 978-1936168-68-2.
- "The Thirteenth Chair (1929) - Tod Browning - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". Retrieved September 18, 2016.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The Thirteenth Chair (1929 film)|