The Tape Recorder
The Tape Recorder is a 1966 television play by Australian Pat Flower.
|"The Tape Recorder"|
|Australian Playhouse episode|
|Episode no.||Season 1|
|Directed by||Henri Safran|
|Teleplay by||Pat Flower|
|Produced by||David Goddard|
|Original air date||25 April 1966|
|Running time||30 mins|
It was originally broadcast as an episode of Australian Playhouse.
In a single room a girl sits taking short hand notes by herself from her employer.
- Jennifer Wright
The Sydney Morning Herald critic wrote that "the traditional formula of the short thriller was cleverly used, with never a letup in insidious suspense, and a sharply effective final twist to the story" based on "the alliance between the author's compact, ingenious plot and Henri' Safran's subtle production, which built up a taut, oppressive atmosphere within a single room."
The Sunday Herald said that with the show "Australian Playhouse proved conclusively and triumphantly that it is a winner. The only question now is . . . where have all these writers been skulking? Have they been hiding under stones? Working on novels? Doing bits for Mavis? Or chewing their nails until a series like this came along? I may be a bit premature in Jumping for joy, but in scoring two hits in a row Australian Playhouse looks as though it ' might be more than a grab bag. "
It was also produced by the BBC in 1967 with Guy Doleman. It was later produced for television in Canada, Belgium, the US and Italy.
It was also adapted for the stage.
- "ABC's new drama series". Tribune (1459). New South Wales, Australia. 18 May 1966. p. 4. Retrieved 18 February 2019 – via National Library of Australia.
- Harrison, Agnes (10 March 1966). "Playhouse series could shift drama from doldrums". The Age. p. 14.
- The bulletin, John Haynes and J.F. Archibald, 1880, retrieved 23 March 2019
- "TV reviews". Sydney Morning Herald. 24 April 1966. p. 78.
- "The Hitchcock Manner". Sydney Morning Herald. 26 April 1966. p. 10.
- "PROJECT '66 LOOKS FOR THE ANSWER". The Australian Women's Weekly. 33, (50). Australia, Australia. 11 May 1966. p. 15. Retrieved 18 February 2019 – via National Library of Australia.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "A Roving Eye on Mr Holt". Sydney Morning Herald. 1 May 1966. p. 90.
- 1965 TV production at Ausstage
- The Tape Recorder at AustLit
- 1972 stage adaptation at Ausstage
- 1967 British TV version at IMDb
- 1970 US TV version at IMDb
- 1975 Italian TV version at IMDb
- 1972 Belgian version at IMDb