The Story of Molly X
The Story of Molly X is a 1949 film noir crime film directed by Crane Wilbur and starring June Havoc, John Russell and Dorothy Hart. The screenplay concerns a woman who tries to reform after being sent to prison, but faces obstacles.
|The Story of Molly X|
|Directed by||Crane Wilbur|
|Produced by||Aaron Rosenberg|
|Written by||Crane Wilbur|
|Music by||Milton Schwarzwald|
|Edited by||Edward Curtiss|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
- June Havoc as Molly X
- John Russell as Cash Brady
- Dorothy Hart as Anne
- Connie Gilchrist as Dawn
- Cathy Lewis as Jan
- Sara Berner as Amy
- Sandra Gould as Vera
- Katherine Warren as Norma Calvert (as Katharine Warren)
- Charles McGraw as Police Capt. Breen
- Elliott Lewis as Rod Markle
- Wally Maher as Chris Renbow
Bosley Crowther, critic for The New York Times, was unimpressed, writing, "there is little of substance or excitement in 'The Story of Molly X.'" He found the story and actors unconvincing: "... this film ... carries a great deal more sentiment than conviction. Miss Havoc may look mighty sweet but she certainly does not overwhelm you with a sense of her cold recalcitrance ... And the females with whom she is surrounded in this penal institute seem not much more wicked or unsocial than the young ladies in a Connecticut finishing school."
- Rode, Alan K. (2012). Charles McGraw: Biography of a Film Noir Tough Guy. McFarland. ISBN 9781476600352. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- Keaney, Michael F. (May 20, 2015). Film Noir Guide: 745 Films of the Classic Era, 1940-1959. McFarland. p. 404. ISBN 9780786491551. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- Bosley Crowther (December 2, 1949). "'The Story of Molly X' New Feature at Criterion". The New York Times.
- The Story of Molly X on IMDb
- The Story of Molly X at the TCM Movie Database
- The Story of Molly X at AllMovie