The Story of Dr. Wassell
The Story of Dr. Wassell is a 1944 American Technicolor World War II film set in the Dutch East Indies, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, and starring Gary Cooper, Laraine Day, Signe Hasso and Dennis O'Keefe. The film was based on a book of the same name by novelist and screenwriter James Hilton.
|The Story of Dr. Wassell|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Cecil B. DeMille|
|Produced by||Cecil B. DeMille|
|Music by||Victor Young|
|Edited by||Anne Bauchens|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
The book and film were inspired by the wartime activities of U.S. Navy Doctor Corydon M. Wassell which were referred to by President Roosevelt in a radio broadcast made in April 1942. The appropriate section of this broadcast appears toward the end of the film.
- Gary Cooper as Dr. Corydon M. Wassell
- Laraine Day as Madeleine
- Signe Hasso as Bettina
- Dennis O'Keefe as Benjamin 'Hoppy' Hopkins
- Carol Thurston as Tremartini
- Carl Esmond as Lt. Dirk Van Daal
- Paul Kelly as Murdock
- Elliott Reid as William 'Andy' Anderson
- Stanley Ridges as Cmdr. William B. 'Bill' Goggins
- Renny McEvoy as Johnny Leeweather
- Oliver Thorndike as Alabam
- Philip Ahn as Ping
- Barbara Britton as Ruth
- Cecil B. DeMille as Narrator (uncredited)
- unbilled players include Richard Aherne, Irving Bacon, Sven Hugo Borg, Victor Borge, Yvonne De Carlo, Ann Doran, Milton Kibbee, Elmo Lincoln, Richard Loo, Gavin Muir, Jack Norton and Philip Van Zandt
It was originally announced that Yvonne De Carlo would play the role of the Javanese nurse.
DeMille wanted Alan Ladd to play the role of Hoppy, but he had to go into military service.
It was the fifth most popular movie of 1946 in France with admissions of 5,866,693.http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.boxofficestory.com/&prev=search
In popular culture
In the Truman Capote novella Breakfast at Tiffany's, Holly Golightly was to have auditioned for the role of Dr. Wassel's nurse, but impulsively left for New York City.
- "The 17th Academy Awards (1945) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "DRAMA: 'Cousin' Rewrite Set; Hubbard Joining Cast" Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 18 Feb 1943: A8.
- "DRAMA AND FILM: O'Keefe Wins 'Hoppy' Role in 'Dr. Wassell' Carmen Miranda Lively Addition to 'Greenwich Village' at 20th" Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 23 June 1943: A8.
- "News About Movies". The Mail. Adelaide: National Library of Australia. 12 January 1946. p. 8. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Story of Dr. Wassell.|
- The Story of Dr. Wassell at the American Film Institute Catalog
- The Story of Dr. Wassell on IMDb
- The Story of Dr. Wassell at the TCM Movie Database
- Roosevelt: 'A Call for Sacrifice', April 28, 1942