The Space (theatre)
|Location||Isle of Dogs|
The Space is located inside a former Presbyterian church. This was built in 1859 for the Scottish Presbyterian congregation who had migrated to the Isle of Dogs to work in the shipyards. It was designed by Thomas Knightley. It was taken over by the St. Paul's Arts Trust, headed by Robert Richardson, in 1989, and has been restored.
The Space offers many kinds of performance, including dance, drama and live music. Its first in-house production was a double bill of Dogg's Hamlet and The Real Inspector Hound, the former starring Adam Hemming (the theatre's artistic director) as the headmaster. It aims to produce more of its own shows in the coming years.
The Space has established itself as a community theatre, offering free drama classes for youths from nearby schools. It is staffed mainly by volunteers.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Space (Theatre).|