The Secret of the Loch
The Secret of the Loch is a 1934 British film about the Loch Ness Monster. It is the first film made about the monster.
|The Secret of the Loch|
|Directed by||Milton Rosmer|
|Produced by||Bray Wyndham|
|Written by||Charles Bennett|
|Music by||Peter Mendoza|
|Edited by||David Lean|
|May 1934 (UK)|
Professor Heggie is determined to prove to a sceptical scientific community the existence of a dinosaur in Loch Ness. Young London reporter Jimmy Anderson believes him and offers to help. He also falls in love with Maggie, the professor's daughter. Jimmy finally plucks up the courage to enter the Loch himself, and comes face to face with the monster.
- Professor Heggie - Seymour Hicks
- Angela Heggie - Nancy O'Neil
- Angus - Gibson Gowland
- Jimmy Anderson - Frederick Peisley
- Jack Campbell, the Diver - Eric Hales
- Maggie Fraser, the Barmaid - Rosamund John
- Piermaster - Ben Field
- Reporter - Robert Wilton
- Professor Blenkinsop Fothergill - Hubert Harben
- Scientist at Meeting - Fewlass Llewellyn
- Macdonald - Stafford Hilliard
- Judge - D.J. Williams
- Reporter/Photographer in Pub - Clive Morton
- Mate - Cyril McLaglen
TV Guide called the film "a trite programmer which doesn't make one believe in the humans' actions, much less the sea serpent's"; while Allmovie called it a "fairly amusing British monster movie...obscure but entertaining oddity"; and Britmovie noted an "enjoyable comic romp."
- Secret of the Loch . Classic Horror
- "The Secret of the Loch". BFI.
- "LETTER from LONDON". The Advertiser (Adelaide). South Australia. 21 April 1934. p. 9. Retrieved 24 April 2018 – via National Library of Australia.
- Tom Waver, Double Feature Creature Attack: A Monster Merger of Two More Volumes of Classic Interviews McFarland, 2003 p 18-19
- LOCH NESS MONSTER: Two 'Planes and Yacht in Search PREPARING TO MAKE A FILM The Scotsman 19 Dec 1933: 9.
- PREPARATIONS FOR "MONSTER" FILM: Underwater Scenes in New Production The Scotsman 16 Jan 1934: 11.
- "Death Proved Loch Ness Monster Was Real". The Mail (Adelaide). 31, (1, 580). South Australia. 5 September 1942. p. 7. Retrieved 24 April 2018 – via National Library of Australia.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "The Secret Of The Loch". TV Guide.
- "The Secret of the Loch (1934) - Trailers, Reviews, Synopsis, Showtimes and Cast - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "The Secret of the Loch". britmovie.co.uk.