The Secret Place (film)
|The Secret Place|
|Directed by||Clive Donner|
|Produced by||John Bryan|
|Written by||Linette Perry|
|Music by||Clifton Parker|
|Edited by||Peter Bezencenet|
John Bryan Productions
|27 May 1957|
Crime heist melodrama set in the bombed out East End of London. A diamond robbery is masterminded by small-time crooks, and an adolescent boy finds himself unwittingly caught up in events, after discovering they've hidden the loot in his home.
In East London, young Freddie Hatwood has a crush on kiosk attendant Molly Wilson, who is engaged to Gerry Garter. Gerry is a member of a criminal gang who have a hideout at car dealership; Molly's brother Mike works there.
Gerry, Mike and their friend Steve are planning a diamond robbery. They need a policeman's uniform. Molly asks Freddie to borrow the uniform of his policeman father.
The robber goes ahead. Gerry hides the diamonds inside Molly's record player. Not knowing this, Molly gives the player to Freddie as a thank you gift. Freddie discovers the diamonds and the gang go after him.
The British Film Institute praised the "remarkable debut screenplay by Linette Perry, which manages to intertwine the generic conventions of the heist thriller with a simple, but poetic, moral drama. In Perry's world the secret places stretch beyond the physical - the record player, gang hideouts and derelict buildings - into the hearts of the young protagonists. Faced with opportunity and misguided by love, the characters are all confronted with their own buried selfishness."
- "The Secret Place 1957 | Home of British Films". Britmovie. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "The Secret Place (1957) - Trailers, Reviews, Synopsis, Showtimes and Cast". AllMovie. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "The Secret Place | BFI". Explore.bfi.org.uk. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Round the British Studios Nepean, Edith. Picture Show; London67.1754 (Nov 10, 1956): 1
- By, E. A. (1964, Jul 19). LOCAL NEWS: BANKHEAD'S BACK, OTHER ITEMS. New York Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/115852896
- The Secret Place at BFI Screenonline