The Saint in London
|The Saint in London|
|Directed by||John Paddy Carstairs|
|Produced by||William Sistrom|
|Based on||"The Million Pound Day"|
by Leslie Charteris
|Music by||Marr Mackie|
|Edited by||Douglas Robertson|
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures|
It stars George Sanders as Templar and was produced by William Sistrom. John Paddy Carstairs directed. Lynn Root and Frank Fenton wrote the screenplay based on Leslie Charteris' short story "The Million Pound Day", which was published in the 1932 collection The Holy Terror, published in the US as The Saint vs. Scotland Yard.
The Saint picks up a man on a country road, leading him into a web of currency fraud, a couple of murders and much skulduggery. The case is complicated by an enthusiastic young lady.
- George Sanders as Simon Templar / The Saint
- Sally Gray as Penny Parker
- David Burns as Dugan
- Gordon McLeod as Inspector Claud Teal
- Henry Oscar as Bruno Lang
- Athene Seyler as Mrs. Buckley
- John Abbott as Count Stephen Duni
- Ralph Truman as Kussella
- Charles Carson as Mr. Morgan
- Carl Jaffe as Stengler
- Norah Howard as Mrs. Morgan
- Ballard Berkeley as Sir Richard Blake
- Charles Paton as Tobacco Shop Proprietor
The film made a profit of $140,000. According to Saint historian Burl Barer, Charteris considered The Saint in London to be the best of the RKO film series. He admired director Carstairs' work enough to dedicate the book The Saint in the Sun to him; Carstairs is also the only person to direct not only RKO Saint films, but also two episodes of the 1962-69 series The Saint.
- "The Saint in London: Detail View". American Film Institute. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES. (1939 Mar 10). SCREEN NEWS HERE AND IN HOLLYWOOD. New York Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/102802685
- Richard Jewell & Vernon Harbin, The RKO Story. New Rochelle, New York: Arlington House, 1982. p132
- Burl Barer, The Saint: A Complete History in Print, Radio, Film and Television 1928-1992. Jefferson, N.C.: MacFarland, 2003 (originally published in 1992).
- The Saint in London on IMDb
- The Saint in London at AllMovie
- The Saint in London at the TCM Movie Database
- The Saint in London at the American Film Institute Catalog