The Rogue (novel)
The Rogue is a fantasy novel that has been released by author Trudi Canavan. It forms part of her Kyralia series and is the second novel of The Traitor Spy Trilogy. The Rogue returns to the themes of the Black Magician Series, and features Sonea and Lorkin (Sonea and Akkarin's son).
Book cover for The Rogue
|Series||The Traitor Spy (novel series)|
|Media type||Print (Hardback & Paperback)|
|Preceded by||The Ambassador's Mission|
|Followed by||The Traitor Queen|
The Rogue continues from the events of the Ambassadors Mission. The Ambassadors Mission ended with Lorkin being confined to the Sanctuary (The Traitors' mountainous hidden city), and been given the job of assisting healing the inhabitants as the Sachakan magic users don't know healing magic, though Lorkin is doing this willingly. Ambassador to Sachaka Dannyl is no longer looking for Lorkin and has resumed his duties as Ambassador while awaiting for a new assistant. Sonea has exposed a rogue magician from Igra, with help from Cery and Regin. Though through reading the rogue's mind they have discovered that the Thief Skellin is also a magic user though he is unaware of Black Magic, this Thief is also responsible for the murders that have been plaguing the Thieves and the man directly responsible for importing and selling the drug Roet that is an attempt to gain a measure of control of citizens of Imardin from all the classes, low, high and magician.
Living among the Sachakan rebels, Lorkin does his best to learn about them and their unique magic. But the Traitors are reluctant to trade their knowledge for the Healing they so desperately want, and while he assumes they fear revealing their existence to the world, there are hints they have bigger plans. Sonea searches for the rogue, knowing that Cery cannot avoid assassination forever, but the rogue's influence over the city's underworld is far greater than she feared. His only weakness is the loss of his mother, now locked away in the Lookout. In Sachaka, Dannyl has lost the respect of the Sachakan elite for letting Lorkin join the Traitors. The Ashaki's attention has shifted, instead, to the new Elyne Ambassador, a man Dannyl knows all too well. And in the University, two female novices are about to remind the Guild that sometimes their greatest enemy is found within.
- Black Magician Sonea — Lorkin's mother and one of the Guilds Black Magicians. She is also directly responsible for the hospices located in poorer sections of Imardin, which she manages and works for.
- Lord Lorkin — Son of Black Magician Sonea and High Lord Akkarin. Formerly the Ambassador Dannyl's assistant.
- Ambassador Dannyl — Currently the Guilds ambassador to Sachaka.
- Lady Lilia;— A new character in the series, she is a Novice in the guild that makes friends with the wrong person.
In the book magicians wear different robes depending on their chosen discipline. The colours are:
- Red: Warriors
- Green: Healers
- Purple: Alchemists
- Brown: Novices who have yet to choose a discipline
There are also colours for denoting rank:
- Black: Black Magician
- Blue: Administrator
- White: High Lord
- Black sashes: Heads of Discipline
- Gold sashes: King's advisors
Members of 'The Allied Lands':
- Kyralia: Home of the Guild. Neighbour to Elyne and Sachaka ruled by Sachaka around a millennium ago. (Most Powerful Magical Talent in the 'Allied Lands').
- Elyne: Neighbour to Kyralia and Sachaka. Ruled by Sachaka around a millennium ago. Closest to Kyralia in Appearance and Culture. (Semi-Powerful Magical Talent).
- Lan: People of warrior Tribes. South of Kyralia.
- Lonmar: Desert land. Home of the Mahga religion.
- Vin: Island Nation. Southwest of Kyralia.
Countries Beyond 'The Allied Lands'
- Sachaka: - Home of the once great 'Sachakan Empire'. Most free men are Magicians (Ashaki). All but the most powerful are slaves. Once Ruler of Kyralia and Elyne, it is believed that knowledge of Higher magic, or Black Magic, was brought to these countries from Sachaka. (Users of Higher / Black Magic)
- Duna: - Tribal people who live in the volcanic desert north of Sachaka (Magical Talent: Unknown)
- Igra: - A land "beyond the great northern desert. It is a strange place, where all magic is taboo and punishable by death. Yet those who watch for and punish magicians are magicians themselves. They steal the children of those they execute in order to maintain their numbers." The Ambassadors Mission; page 480.