The Return of the Frog
The Return of the Frog is a 1938 British crime film directed by Maurice Elvey and starring Gordon Harker, Hartley Power and Rene Ray. It is a sequel to the 1937 film The Frog, and was based on the 1929 novel The India-Rubber Men by Edgar Wallace. It was shot at Beaconsfield Studios. The film's plot concerns a police hunt for the criminal known as The Frog.
|The Return of the Frog|
|Directed by||Maurice Elvey|
|Produced by||Herbert Smith |
|Screenplay by||Gerald Elliott |
|Based on||novel The India-Rubber Men by Edgar Wallace|
|Starring||Gordon Harker |
|Music by||John Blore Borelli|
|Edited by||Peggy Hennessey |
|Distributed by||British Lion|
|24 November 1938|
- Gordon Harker as Inspector Elk
- Hartley Power as 'Chicago Dale' Sandford
- Rene Ray as Lela Oaks
- Cyril Smith as Maggs
- Charles Lefeaux as Golly Oaks
- Una O'Connor as Mum Oaks
- Meinhart Maur as 'Dutchy' Alkmann
- George Hayes as Dandy Lane
- Charles Carson as Chief Commissioner
- Aubrey Mallalieu as Banker
- Alexander Field as Sniffy Offer
- Philip Godfrey as Number 39
- Patrick Holt as Cadet with Question
- David Keir as Number 23
- Norman Pierce as Policeman
- George Street as Waiter
- Charles Victor as Customer in Night Club
Fantastic Movie Musings and Ramblings wrote "On the plus side, this movie is well-acted, is full of amusing one-liners, and features Una O’Connor. On the minus side, the plot is confusing and it feels alternately rushed and dull. I get the feeling they were trying to shoehorn too much story into its 73 minute running time, and as a result, it feels cramped and doesn’t flow well"; while TV Guide noted "an enjoyable mix of comedy and drama," and singled out Gordon Harker as "likable in a role he had filled before in the movies and on stage."
- "The Return of the Frog (1938)". BFI.
- Goble, Alan (8 September 2011). "The Complete Index to Literary Sources in Film". Walter de Gruyter – via Google Books.
- Wood p.99
- "The Return of the Frog (1938) - Maurice Elvey - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related". AllMovie.
- Sindelar, Dave (24 September 2016). "Return of the Frog (1938)".
- "The Return Of The Frog - TV Guide". TVGuide.com.
- Low, Rachael. Filmmaking in 1930s Britain. George Allen & Unwin, 1985.
- Wood, Linda. British Films, 1927-1939. British Film Institute, 1986.