"The Psychobombs" is the twelfth episode aired of the first series of UFO, a 1970 British television science fiction series about an alien invasion of Earth. The screenplay was written by Tony Barwick and the director was Jeremy Summers. The episode was filmed between 30 June and 10 July 1970, and first aired on ATV Midlands on 30 December 1970. Though shown as the twelfth episode, it was actually the twenty-second to be filmed.
|Episode no.||Season 1|
|Directed by||Jeremy Summers|
|Written by||Tony Barwick|
|Production code||30 June 30th to 10 July, 1970|
|Original air date||30 December 1970 (ATV Midlands)|
A UFO lands in England, and takes control of the minds of two men and a woman (Linda Simmons, Daniel Clark and Clem Mason). Each is given superhuman strength as well as being made into a walking bomb. Simmons strangles a policeman close to her home, and each of the three is sent to destroy a SHADO installation. Following an unsuccessful attack on Straker's car, a note is found detailing three attacks on SHADO if it continues to operate.
Clark attacks the Fairfield Tracker Station, which he destroys by grabbing high-voltage power cables and then exploding. This is followed by Mason evading security and getting on board Skydiver 3, and destroying it by grabbing power cables as it leaves its base of operations.
Foster investigates Simmonds (following up on the strangled policeman), the last surviving 'living bomb', and takes her to SHADO headquarters unaware of what she is capable of. Whilst in detention, Simmonds escapes and looks for high-voltage cables she can use to explode herself. Just before she manages to do this, Sky One destroys the UFO that has been controlling the humans, and Simmonds only electrocutes herself.
- David Collings — Daniel Clark
- Tom Adams — Capt. Lauritzen
- Alex Davion — The Executive
- Robin Hawdon — Capt. Skydiver 3
- Christopher Timothy — Navigator Skydiver 3
- Peter Dolphin — Engineer Skydiver 3
- Mark York — Engineer Skydiver 3
- Peter Blythe — Lt. Blythe
- Oscar James — Police officer
- Aiden Murphy — Guard
- Peter Davies — Fairfield Tracker Station Guard
- Derek Steen — Fairfield Tracker Station Guard
Neither this episode nor "Confetti Check A-O.K." begin with the regular opening sequence of an eye guard being removed from an alien's eye.
- "UFO Episode Guide - The Psychobombs". Fanderson. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "UFO Characters - The Psychobombs". SHADO Library. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Underappreciated TV: UFO". Den of Geek. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- Bentley, Chris (10 January 2003). The Complete Book of Gerry Anderson's UFO. 978-1903111659. p. 134. ISBN 978-1903111659.
"The Man Who Came Back"
|UFO episodes||Next produced:|
"Reflections in the Water"