The Orphan Killer
The Orphan Killer is a 2011 independent horror film written and directed by Matt Farnsworth. It was produced by Farnsworth and Full Fathom 5. Farnsworth has stated that he has plans for sequels and a web series.
|The Orphan Killer|
|Directed by||Matt Farnsworth|
|Produced by||Matt Farnsworth|
|Written by||Matt Farnsworth|
|Music by||Bullet Tooth|
Full Fathom 5
Full Fathom 5
The film follows the life of two children who become wards of the state in New Jersey after a home invasion results in the murder of their parents. Having witnessed the murder, Marcus is forever changed. The siblings are sent to a Catholic orphanage where Audrey is subsequently adopted and Marcus is left behind. He suffers abuse at the hands of the caretakers and as a punishment is masked and exiled. Never forgiving his sister for abandoning him, Marcus returns to his sister's life many years later in adulthood, still masked, wanting to teach her a lesson.
- Diane Foster as Audrey
- David Backhaus as Marcus Miller
- Matt Farnsworth as Mike
- James McCaffrey as Detective Jones
- John Savage as Detective Walker
- Karen Young as Sister Mary
- Charlotte Maier as Sister Constance
- Spencer List as Young Marcus
- Dana DeVestern as Young Audrey
- Margot White as Jenny Miller
- Mike Doyle as Marcus Miller Sr.
- Ivan Martin as Jim
- Karen Olivo as Angie
- Matthew Arkin as Bob
- Ezra Knight as Simon
- Allison Salvetti as Ghost Orphan
- Jon David Casey as Jerry
A limited test release of The Orphan Killer was distributed through Facebook. The film also premiered at the Sitges Film Festival, where it was shown in the Brigadoon section of the festival. The film was also shown at the 30th Festival de Cine de Terror de Molins de Rei. In Mexico, the film premiered in three different locations across the country at the Morbido Film Festival.
The film received an award at the Festival de Cine de Terror de Molins de Rei for "Best Picture". In Italy, director Farnsworth was honored with an Antonio Margheriti award at the Tohorror film festival for his work on the film. The award "symbolizes the birth of a new master creator in the genre and his monster".
Reception for the film has been mixed with Germany banning the film. HorrorNews.net said that the movie is "a return to classic horror with a lethal bang". Dread Central also reviewed the film, stating "It is a low-budget offering and often looks like it" but that "You're getting a new slasher, one with a lot of similarities to some of our favorite characters of the past, but with its own unique spin". Fangoria panned the film, writing that "these filmmakers had everything they needed to create something special, and simply chose to go the least interesting route". Meanwhile, Horrormovies.ca wrote, "This could be a franchise as big as Halloween and Friday the 13th".
The soundtrack for The Orphan Killer was released in February 2011 on the movie's Facebook page.
- First Blood - First Blood
- Affiance - Nostra Culpa
- Asking Alexandria - Someone, Somewhere
- Deception of a Ghost - These Voices
- Anew Revolution - Head Against the Wall
- This or the Apocalypse - Charmer
- Most Precious Blood - A Danger to Myself and Others
- A Bullet for a Pretty Boy - The Deceiver
- Dawn of Ashes - Seething the Flesh in the River of Phlegethon
- First Blood - Conflict
- Born of Osiris - Follow the Signs
- No Bragging Rights - Death of an Era
- First Blood - Execution
- Ventana - Cry Little Sister
Farnsworth announced plans for a sequel to The Orphan Killer shortly after the film's premiere in 2011. In an interview with Starburst magazine he stated that he had completed the scripts for a second and third films and that he planned to release a web series based upon the first film in 2013.
- "El enmascarado y su sangriento director". Diario Vasco. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Los seguidores del cine 'slasher' no han conocido un fenómeno así en 20 años". Noticias de Gipuzkoa. Archived from the original on 19 May 2012. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Writer/Director Matt Farnsworth Talks The Orphan Killer Past, Present and Future…And How You Can See it for Free!". Dread Central. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "BRIGADOON 13 OCT: Asian Trash Cinema, The orphan killer & La masque de la Méduse". Sitges Film Festival. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "The Orphan Killer Introduces Slasher Marcus Miller Worldwide". Dread Central. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "'The Orphan Killer' Acquires 'Best Picture' at 'Terror Molins De Rei'". HorrorNews.net. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "The Orphan Killer Wins Best Picture at Terror Molins De Rei". Dread Central. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Matt Farnsworth – The Orphan Killer – Honors pour in from Europe". HorrorNews.net. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Review: The Orphan Killer EL SERIAL KILLER DEL SIGLO XXI". Almas Oscuras. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "5 Must-Have Horror Films Banned In Germany". Yell! Magazine. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Film Review: The Orphan Killer (2011)". HorrorNews.net. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Orphan Killer, The (2011)". Dread Central. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- ""THE ORPHAN KILLER" (FILM REVIEW)". Fangoria. Archived from the original on 2 November 2012. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- ""THE ORPHAN KILLER" (2011) REVIEW". Horrormovies.ca. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "Gore Noir Magazine Issue #6". Gore Noir Magazine. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Interview: Matt Farnsworth, Director of THE ORPHAN KILLER". Starburst Magazine. Retrieved 30 December 2012.