The New Pope
The New Pope is an upcoming drama television series created and directed by Paolo Sorrentino for Sky Atlantic, HBO and Canal+. It is a continuation of the 2016 series The Young Pope, originally announced as its second season. The nine-episode series stars Jude Law, reprising his role as Pope Pius XIII, and John Malkovich as Pope John Paul III, the titular "New Pope". It was co-produced by European production companies Wildside, Haut et Court TV and Mediapro.
|The New Pope|
|Created by||Paolo Sorrentino|
|Directed by||Paolo Sorrentino|
|Country of origin|
|No. of episodes||(list of episodes)|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Preceded by||The Young Pope|
The series will premiere on 10 January 2020 on Sky Atlantic and on 13 January on HBO and Canal+.
- Jude Law as Pope Pius XIII (born Lenny Belardo)
- John Malkovich as Pope John Paul III, the titular 'New Pope' (born John Brannox)
- Silvio Orlando as Cardinal Angelo Voiello, Camerlengo and Cardinal Secretary of State
- Javier Cámara as Cardinal Bernardo Gutierrez, Master of Ceremonies of the Holy See
- Cécile de France as Sofia, in charge of marketing for the Holy See
- Ludivine Sagnier as Esther, the wife of a member of the Pontifical Swiss Guard
- J. David Hinze as Leopold Essence
- Sharon Stone
- Marilyn Manson
- Mark Ivanir
- Maurizio Lombardi as Cardinal Mario Assente
- Antonio Petrocelli as Monsignor Luigi Cavallo
- Henry Goodman
- Ulrich Thomsen
- Massimo Ghini
- Yuliya Snigir
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Ital. viewers|
|1||TBA||Paolo Sorrentino||TBA||January 10, 2020||TBD|
The series had its world premiere on 1 September 2019 at the 76th Venice International Film Festival, where episodes 2 and 7 were screened out of competition. It is set to be released on television on 10 January 2020 on Sky Atlantic and on 13 January on HBO and Canal+.
- Anderson, Ariston (October 20, 2016). "'The Young Pope' Producers Confirm Second Season of Show". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 23, 2019.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (January 9, 2018). "'The New Pope': HBO Gives First Look At Jude Law And John Malkovich; Unveils Cast For Limited Series". Deadline. Retrieved January 23, 2019.
- "Jude Law and John Malkovich starring in The New Pope - news from Sky Media". Sky Media. Retrieved 2019-06-23.
- Petski, Denise (July 2, 2018). "'The New Pope': John Malkovich To Star With Returning Jude Law In Paolo Sorrentino's 'Young Pope' Follow-Up For HBO/Sky". Deadline. Retrieved January 23, 2019.
- Vivarelli, Nick (May 17, 2019). "Sharon Stone, Marilyn Manson to Appear in Paolo Sorrentino's 'The New Pope' (EXCLUSIVE)".
- Petski, Denise (January 7, 2019). "'The New Pope': Mark Ivanir To Recur On Paolo Sorrentino's Series For HBO/Sky". Deadline. Retrieved January 23, 2019.
- "THE NEW POPE Debuts January 13". HBO. 26 November 2019. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- "'The new Pope', il 10 gennaio la nuova serie di Sorrentino". la Repubblica. 26 November 2019. Retrieved 27 November 2019.
- Loughrey, Clarisse (17 May 2017). "The Young Pope to get follow-up series called The New Pope". The Independent. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- Williams, Helena (1 September 2019). "Jude Law brings papal drama follow-up to Venice". Reuters. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- ""The New Pope" arrive en janvier sur Canal+". La Dépêche du Midi. 27 November 2019. Retrieved 27 November 2019.
- Gemmill, Allie (3 November 2019). "'The New Pope' Trailer Introduces John Malkovich's Flashy Church Leader". Collider. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- Lawrence, Gregory (10 December 2019). "The Official 'The New Pope' Trailer Absolutely Slaps". Collider. Retrieved 11 December 2019.